Reply To: Nov 8, 2022 – Live Lesson: 3 Things I Learned From Playing Ukulele For 10k Hours

Home Page Forums Monthly Live Lessons Nov 8, 2022 – Live Lesson: 3 Things I Learned From Playing Ukulele For 10k Hours Reply To: Nov 8, 2022 – Live Lesson: 3 Things I Learned From Playing Ukulele For 10k Hours

The_Bumble_Bard
Participant

For some reason, I dislike the idea of focusing too much on a specific number of hours as even a guideline for success–whether 20 hours or 10,000 (though I do get how it could be helpful in some ways). When you start out learning something, you might believe you’ll learn it quickly and it takes months or years; you might think a song or technique seems impossible and learn it quickly. Sometimes a time constraint can be good and push you in a good way, but I just don’t think learning or progress can be measured in hours… (Refrains from “Rent” musical references)

But I also see how having a set amount of time as an incentive or goal to practice consistently could be useful like you described, @smokealot.

Anyone who has taken the challenge to “master” anything knows it takes committment and follow through. Show up everyday, have fun and one day you could actually shock yourself ☺️😂.
I gotta agree that our emotions could sabotage us or aid us in the process. To me it’s not so much about mastery but being consistent, following through and enjoying the journey. If you don’t have the, “I give up” attitude you could accomplish so many great things for yourself.

@gi_gi_ so much yes! I think about the “always something” approach to practicing and playing. Even if I only play for five minutes, I play every day. Almost. It is more about being consistent and enjoying yourself, agreed! Oh yeah and not giving up. 😅🥺😂