Participate in the September 2020 Member Challenge – Original Music!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the September 2020 Member Challenge – Original Music!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 130 total)
  • Author
    robinboyd
    Participant

Thanks @smokealot. I decided not to put a harmonic at the end because I liked leaving the listener with a feeling of anticipation 🙂

smokealot
    Participant

Well that worked just fine! 😀

Andrew
    Keymaster

@robinboyd – I loved it, Robin! You really should continue writing, I think you’ve got a knack for it. The only suggestion I have is for the B Melody. I like that it slowed down, but maybe too much IMO. I’d go a touch faster.

robinboyd
    Participant

Thanks.

I agree that the B melody was too slow. I really struggled to slow it down without slowing it down too much. Any suggestions for how to achieve that? If I went with quarter notes and 8th notes instead of half and quarter, it wouldn’t slow down at all.

Andrew
    Keymaster

I’d record yourself playing into and thru that section at diff speeds. When you listen back, you’ll have multiple options. That’s the way I’d approach figuring out what works best.

robinboyd
    Participant

Thanks

robinboyd
    Participant

Actually, I have a follow up question. Let’s say I doubled the speed of that section by swapping out quarter notes for 8th notes, etc., and I achieved a slower pace by slowing the BPM for that section. That would make the section 4 bars rather than 8. At the moment, each section is 8 bars long. Would it be better to have a 4-bar section or to add another 4 bars of content to make it consistent with the A melody?

Andrew
    Keymaster

I think you’re overthinking it now. Sections don’t have to be equal. There are no rules 🙂

robinboyd
    Participant

Thanks again. That helps.

lisa-k
    Participant

Here’s my second take for my first ukulele tune. I’ve added a bit more to my b melody to balance things out a little. I hope it’s an improvement!

Andrew
    Keymaster

@lisa-k – That’s def more developed, good job!

gmflin8
    Participant

Aloha,

Here is my entry to this month’s challenge. I learned how to play the “Classical Etude.” Phew, that was HARD! 

Last month, I received feedback with a list of areas to work on. I decided to completely ignore all of them this month so I at least would have *something* to submit 😀 I tried to not have too many rings this time. Phew, did I say that this was hard?!

@Andrew
    , can you make sure that we have one beginner song next month? 😀

Feedback welcome.  

shmu88
    Participant

Hola everyone,

I never tried to write my own song as I’m a beginner and not very inspired right now unfortunately, but hearing all your original songs makes me want to try harder! So maybe the next original song challenge will be my time to shine ;). In the meantime, here is my take at Wonder Part 2. Cheers!

cncamacho
    Participant

I know this isn’t part of the challenge but I’m going to play @robinboyd’s Neptune’s Lullaby because I liked it so much. I think it sounds good in high G too! Great work, Robin and thanks for sharing the song sheet.

robinboyd
    Participant

Wow @cncamacho. Thanks! I’m so glad you liked it. It should work fine on high G, too. Just remember that all of the trills, etc., are entirely optional, so there’s no need to stress about them.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 130 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.