Hello From N California

Home Page Forums Introduce Yourself Hello From N California

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    dslance70
    Participant

My name is David and I have been checking out the free stuff on YT for some months. I really enjoy the instruction vids. I was woking on the Malaguena vid 1, but I’m taking a break from it. It’s a bit above my pay grade. I’m a moonlighting drummer/percussionist actually. So, I’m working on Sor’s opus 60.

I had a questions about Steve’s axe in that vid. Andrew, does that Islander SAT-4 made have the same neck profile that comes on most Kanilea’s. I know that you’re a big fan of Kanilea. I finally played on a Kanilea yesterday (amazing!). I was lead to believe that that the nut width AND neck profile on the islander SAT-4 are the same as the mother brand’s specs. Can you or any of the experts in this forum corroborate this?

Thank you so much everybody!
    Be well

Steven
    Participant

Hi David, I own a Kanile’a ukulele as well as the Islander so I can confirm that the nut width on the Islander is the same as the Kanile’a at 38mm with around 30mm string spacing from G to A. I find this to be really comfortable. The neck profiles are similar but not identical. The Kanile’a is a little slimmer at the nut and thickens up more as you move towards the 12th fret. It also has a slightly flattened profile on the very back of the neck. The Islander is a little rounder and more uniform from nut to body. It’s still pretty slim though compared to a Kala for example.
    Although not identical to the Kanile’a it definitely has a very similar feel. I find it to be really comfortable and have no issues switching between the two ukes.
    Hope that helps answer your questions.
    All the best,
    Steve

dslance70
    Participant

Thank you, Steven. Really helpful and totally answers my question. Your Opus 60 vid was my initial into the SAT-4. Beyond the nut width, nobody ever writes anything beyond “slinky” neck profile when describing those neck spec particulars on the Islander. I really did your instruction vids! At some point I’ll take on Adelita.

Thanks again and be well!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.