Low v High G

Home Page Forums Uke Talk Low v High G

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    grannieannie
    Participant

First of all, I want to say how impressed I am with the quality of the lessons and the talented instructors on this website I took up the ukulele as a way to join a new social circle and to keep the synapses firing, but I can see there’s a lifetime of learning here. I’ve certainly gained a new respect for any player of any stringed instrument.

I decided, shortly after buying my uke, to restring it with a set of low G strings because I liked the mellower sound, but now I’m finding that might present some limitations. I’m working on Etude #13 for the April challenge and it works more or less okay with the low G string, but I’ve had to make a couple of adaptations where it just didn’t work. So my question is, will I find that more songs are arranged with high G in mind? I’ve watched Matt’s video discussing the merits of both and understand it’s a matter of personal preference, but I don’t want to be limited as I work my way through your lessons.

janaq1
    Participant

I think that after a while everyone succumbs to the need to own a High and a Low G ukulele. So you can skip the “yes or no” consideration stage and buy a second ukulele right away. 😃
    But to your question: Specifically here on RC101, more songs are arranged for a High G ukulele (I would say). Sometimes a little adjustment is all it takes and the arrangement can be played on the other G. In other cases it can be complicated.
    But you can find a lot of tutorials for Low G on youtube.

grannieannie
    Participant

Yes, I’m starting to see why having two ukes just might be the answer. That dilemma will be solved if my name is picked in one of these challenge draws!

gi_gi_
    Participant

@grannieannie Your first submission was so good. Yes, having two ukes solves it all 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.