Hello, Rock Class 101 Community!

Home Page Forums Introduce Yourself Hello, Rock Class 101 Community!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    kanae926
    Participant

I’d joined as a basic member a little less than two weeks ago and finally “bit the bullet” to join the premium membership. I got hungry for more after seeing the free lessons and what Andrew had to offer on this site. I love the structure and the variety!

I haven’t tried to play an instrument in almost 30 years! My first uke I bought in April was a Kala KAA-15s and it’s a bit tiny (short on frets) so I recently bought a Bondi concert size. I can’t wait to dive into the beginner lessons. So far, I’ve been reading up and watching the courses. It’s a lot to take in! 🙂

Andrew, how do you determine the difficulty levels of your arrangements/lessons? I love “I’m Yours,” but it seems way above a level 1 and is super intimidating! O_o

Just me? lol…I’ll get there (I hope)!

—Kanni (pronounced like Connie)

Andrew
    Keymaster

Welcome Kanni! Great question, that song is an older one, so it was categorized early on and is def harder than level 1.

Have you seen Learning Paths? I give a rundown of the beg/int/adv player and what each level should have under their belt before advancing. That will give you an idea of how I categorize songs to levels based on technique and skill requirements 🙂

Btw, Bondi is cool – Katie over at One Music School uses them a lot.

kanae926
    Participant

Thanks, Andrew! I’ll definitely check out the Learning Paths. It sounds kinda familiar…maybe I saw you answer someone else about that in another post or video.

Bondi is a very cool company. So far, they have had excellent customer service and response times. Thank goodness for that because I feel like I’m getting some buzzing coming from the bridge that I never got with my Kala. I’m wondering if it’s me or the instrument…

I love Katie from One Music School! That’s where I decided I’d try Bondi (from her recommendation).

Andrew
    Keymaster

My pleasure! It probably needs a set up, in where they adjust the action (string height) to alleviate the buzzing. I’d recommend taking it to a mom & pop shop over a place like Guitar Center. They should be able to help you out 🙂

kanae926
    Participant

THIS. This whole definition could not be more accurate! I’ve definitely hit that roadblock you’re describing. Seeing it articulated here gives me complete confidence I’ve found the right teaching site to get me to that next level. Thanks!!

“Beginners have a decent knowledge of the basics including: Cowboy chords (the basic chords at the beginning of the neck: think C, G, Am for example), simple strum patterns, and simple fingerpicking patterns.

Typically, a beginner feels limited in what they can play. In other words, they usually gravitate towards playing a popular song that uses only a handful of chords involving a basic strumming pattern. The problem that happens, is that they get bored and/or the ukulele part requires singing to accompany it; and not everyone wants to sing. So they end up getting stuck in this routine of learning new songs, but the technique and skill required to play it, never progresses.”

Andrew
    Keymaster

I was fortunate enough to teach private lessons for 11 years. Over that time, I was able to see common trends and areas in a student’s playing progression in which they would plateau. That insight was incredibly valuable in creating the lesson curriculum on RC101 that would help get you out of the slump.

Plus, I’m one email or forum post away if you need help 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.