Performing Issues

Home Page Forums Uke Talk Performing Issues

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    cstiber

So I wasn’t very happy with my performance of Valse Venezolano No.2 in the last challenge. I decided to do the courses from start to finish and in the first course I realized that my fundamentals were just gone in my performance. My form was not what it should have been. Going back and adjusting the bad habits that I developed has helped my playing so far even though it’s taking some getting used to. This months challenge is going smoother with Sevivon Sov Sov Sov with my improved form. Great right? Well there was one issue I could not get over, during my performance recording I could not get out of my own head. I would continually lose my place, because a note wouldn’t ring right and my mind would wonder or dwell on what just happened. Especially on the 75% speed. It would give me more time to get in my own way. I couldn’t just play. It was frustrating. Being as that was my first time recording I think it was my nerves or ADD. Would more time actually recording and performing help you think? I mean I would think about random stuff while playing and tried so hard to focus, but the very next moment think “oh yeah nailed that part,” and boom “where am I in the song, backing track will tell me,” ensues the finger frenzy and frustration. Tips? I tried the following night to get a better set and had the same issue and scrapped it out of frustration.
    Thank you for any help with this issue.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by cstiber.
    robinboyd
    Participant

Hi @cstiber. I don’t have ADD, but I can relate to the recording issues. I find that not looking at the camera helps a bit. You can often see me looking up and to the left in my recordings in an attempt not to look at the camera. Other things that help are practicing the tune so much that you can play it inside out and backwards before you try and record, and just having recorded yourself so many times that you get used to it.

BUT, these issues never entirely disappeared for me. They improved but they are still there. I just try to accept it and give myself a break. (Note: Giving myself a break is not always successful, as anyone who I spoke to in the last week of trying to learn Valse Venezolano can attest, but I try).

One other note: Valse Venezolano is hard. I mean, really hard. If you managed to get any sort of recording in your first time recording, it is absolutely amazing. You should pat yourself on the back!

cstiber

@robinboyd Yeah, absolutely no looking at the camera for me. The last thing anyone needs is my eye contact. Haha. Thank you I haven’t given myself props at all I guess. I should be less critical. Your experience helps me believe that I can make it work with more experience. It was a challenging piece for me and I wish I could have made more time to practice, I was so close to having it in the pocket, but such is life. I’ll try and make it so I can play the new challenge in my sleep. See what I can come up with.
    Thank you again for your input I value it, I’ll work on it

gi_gi_
    Participant

@cstiber What really helps is to have fun. The ukulele is supposed to be a fun instrument. Since Valse Venelozano #2 was super hard I practiced every day of the month. I may have missed one day but I told myself to smile as I played 🙂 This helped me greatly. In the end, everyone did very well including yourself. I think I recorded a million times 🙂 If I didn’t have to record it I don’t think I would give it as much time so it is good for us all. Please enjoy yourself as you learn. You may look back and realize just how well you are doing 🙂 In the moment it is difficult to see the progress sometimes.

cstiber

@gi_gi_
    Thank you for the kind words and your input helps. You’re right, I should try to smile more haha. I have a love for the instrument and the joy it brings me is great. I should remember that in times of struggle.

justchris
    Participant

Thank you to all of you for this segment as this is the most vexing issue I have regarding the ukulele, that is making the video. I just encountered the same issue on a YouTube chat happening today. The thing that bothers me the most is that my apparently monstrous ego is intent on denying me one of the great benefits of this site which is teacher access.

I admit, I sure would have liked to enter the give away this time, but maybe another time. In the mean time I will take the suggestion of practicing filming clips. And maybe pretend I’m sending it to someone for fun. Which it is supposed to be.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.