Snowdrop, Clawhammer Banjolele

Home Page Forums Showcase Your Playing Snowdrop, Clawhammer Banjolele

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    firebladetim
    Participant

I’ve loved this tune since I heard someone play it on the banjo, and found a tab for it an Aaron Keim book. I’ve been working on it for several months now. There are still a few goofs in this recording, but it’s coming along.

This is a carbon tenor Banjolele from Outdoor Ukulele, a small company in Bend, Oregon that makes guitars and ukes that can handle the elements.

@The_Bumble_Bard
    I forgot to mention this one when we were discussing Clawhammer tunes. It’s one of my favorites.

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@firebladetim, that was very magical! Sweeeet! Thank you for sharing! There’s something about clawhammer that just lifts your spirits instantly and is so beautifully goofy to me. 😅 Love it, well played! If you have any others, please keep sharing! 😁

firebladetim
    Participant

@The_Bumble_Bard, thanks! I’ll see if I can find time to record some more this weekend.

I have a playlist on my phone if songs I play and songs I’m thinking of learning on the uke, and I realized one that I’ve been playing normally that would translate well to Clawhammer. If I can work it out and do it justice I’ll record that as well.

dianna
    Participant

That was lovely @firebladetim, thanks for sharing. I’m a fan of clawhammer also, but I don’t feel quite up to speed. You have probably noticed they have a little clawhammer course here, and in August they included a great clawhammer challenge ‘Bury Me Beneath The Willow,”…..After you and @The_Bumble_Bard mentioned some other clawhammer ukulele videos/teachers….I checked u-tube and am surprised how much is out there now. This was not always the case. I would love to see an expanded clawhammer program here, but admittedly I love all the other ukulele opportunities they offer also. One more thing, I agree with keeping the tunes in the original key in order to play in old-time/blue grass jams (so that we can play nicely with others🤪).

By the way, I was impressed with your first challenge……well-done and very brave to attempt such a challenging piece…….Welcome to Roc101.

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by dianna.
    leb397
    Participant

@firebladetim , loved it! I’m a huge bluegrass fan. Nicely done. Look forward to hearing more and welcome – great post for November 👏Louisa

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@firebladetim, oh sweet, I look forward to hearing more! That’s smart to have a playlist of songs you want to learn. I write down songs I want to learn but not in an organized list, just chaotically in random places. I need to get that together. 😂 Anyway look forward to hearing more tunes from you!

Side note, I love the names of clawhammer tunes. It’s always things like “Applesauce and Peanut Butter Pie” and “Ol’ Johnny’s Mountain Boots” and things like that. 😅😂

@dianna
    , I was defs waiting for you to chime in! I think it would just be cool if Rock Class 101 added more clawhammer tunes in general at some point. I hope they will! True there are a wealth of options on the YouTubes as well. 😊

@leb397
    , agreed the bluegrass sound of clawhammer is so cool! 😁💕

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.