Need help

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    philrab66
    Participant

Hi Drew
    I need some help. I have been playing for about 6 years and have found myself in a deep rut. I subscribe but hardly come on the site anymore.I can play a lot of chords and try to push myself to use chords up the neck.I just feel I play, practice the same stuff every night, mainly songs I want to play but can’t.. The last time you suggested Norwegian Wood but found the stretches impossible to reach. I am so frustrated with my progress I play nearly every night and I just feel I am not going anywhere.I just want to play something that sounds nice to listen to.Have you any suggestions.
    Thanks Phil.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi Phil, I’ve taught privately for 11 years and I’ve seen many students express feeling stuck and not progressing. Now you mentioned one thing that all of them said too: “[I] practice the same stuff every night”. This right here is the root of the problem. Instead of suggesting another song to work on, I would recommend to create a plan for progressing.

The feeling of being stuck and wondering what to practice or what to learn is the reason that I created Learning Paths. It’s a step-by-step guide that teaches you how to create a plan for continual advancement. I encourage you to read through the entire guide and pick one area to focus on.

When you pick what you’re going to work on, you need a way to stay accountable. Follow the guidelines in the The Accountability Thread. This Thread is all about developing an area of musicianship and implementing it into your playing. Please post your progress in the thread.

As an example, I’m currently working on a new technique: Adding a percussive beat to simple strumming. I found this video on Reddit and thought it was extremely creative, so I learned it. Now I’m practicing and will create a lesson video in the future for the site on it.

Hope this helps you and inspires you. Let’s make 2018 a great year for your playing!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.