It Is Well With My Soul

Home Page Forums Showcase Your Playing It Is Well With My Soul

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@jayleendoyle, thank you so much! That’s really encouraging. Ha, I hope I can get the tabs mostly written out today since I got snowed in from work. I’m really new to writing out tabs, but I’ll do my best with it. I’ll probably post them on my sad YouTube channel when they’re done because I don’t know if it’s okay for me to share them here or not, but I’ll let you know. Thank you again! ๐Ÿ˜Š

leb397
    Participant

@the_bumble_bard yes I did hear the “call and response”. I meant to express that clearer. I would get frustrated trying to write tabs. How nice you were able to work with Matt! You obviously have an “ear” for music.
    I will def look at How Great thou Art.
    Wouldn’t a challenge with hymns be fun??? We did one with Christmas theme. Maybe we could learn yours?
    Thanks for input Uke friend.
    Louisa

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@leb397, ha, whoops, I misunderstood what you were saying. ๐Ÿ˜… We’re good now, lol. Thank you SO much for saying that! I’m so encouraged by your words and all the support of everyone here. It’s more than I could ever hope for. There are so many skills with uke playing and theory that I can still grow in a lot, but I have been playing by ear on piano since I was probably 8 years old (though I sadly haven’t played piano in a long time). I had to sell mine a few years ago. Turns out ukes are way more portable. ๐Ÿ˜…

The lesson with Matt was one of the most magical uke-related things I’ve gotten to do so far, not gonna lie. I was soooooooo nervous though, I almost wanted to cancel, but I’m so glad I didn’t. I didn’t even play one note the whole lesson because I told him I was too nervous, lol. He played part of this arrangement while we were discussing writing out the tabs though, which was so cool. He and Andrew have really inspired and helped me so much and I’m forever grateful to them.

Anyway………… I may have already tried to figure out How Great Thou Art, too. ๐Ÿ˜… I forgot how beautiful that song is. I also am working on an arrangement of A Mighty Fortress Is Our God which is in a slightly different style. And also learning apoyando / Swan Lake. Maybe I’m doing too much. ๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜ณ

That would be so amazing!! I would love a challenge with hymns. ๐Ÿ˜ RC101 has an arrangement of Amazing Grace already, I think, and yes the Christmas hymns. It may be silly, but if they used this arrangement for that hypothetical challenge, my brain would implode from delight. ๐Ÿ˜‚ But I don’t know if Andrew has even looked at this video at all and I’m too nervous to ask. ๐Ÿ˜‚

Sorry to ramble on so much. But thank you again, uke friend! ๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ’•

P.S. I use a lot of smilie faces when writing…

leb397
    Participant

@the_bumble_bard love the smiles. I have to make a correction that โ€œhow great thou Artโ€ is a favorite but it was โ€œbe thou my visionโ€ that I learned and love. Has some quick cord changes when I first started playingโ€ฆ love to hear any songs you have worked out.
    How great Matt worked at your level. I think Iโ€™d be a nervous wreck too. I rarely play in front of family
    Sorry about your piano. Get a used keyboard! There are some nice ones these days. However it would take away from Uke time ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Iโ€™m hoping to post STUDY IN B MINOR. Donโ€™t think Iโ€™ll get through Adelina. It is really difficult. Play on !

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@leb397, ha, I’m glad. My friends, family, and I all use a lot of smiles when we’re texting so it’s sort of a habit. ๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿคฏ๐Ÿ˜•๐Ÿ˜Ÿ๐Ÿ˜…๐ŸŸ๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿฆ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿฅบ๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿ˜ค๐ŸŒฎ๐Ÿ˜ปโ˜•๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ–๐Ÿง๐Ÿš€โ™Ÿ๏ธ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ˜ช๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽˆ๐ŸŽŠ๐Ÿ˜ฏ๐Ÿ˜ฏ๐ŸŽ€๐Ÿ„๐Ÿค๐Ÿ” (those are my actual most frequently used smilies) ๐Ÿ˜‚

I love both those hymns, too. Overall, I really prefer those traditional hymns most. I may have figured out How Great Thou Art (though it’s even simpler than the other arrangements I’ve tried) and started Be Thou My Vision after you first mentioned it a week ago. Be Thou My Vision is definitely much trickier though for sure, but so lovely indeed. ๐Ÿ˜Š

I was too nervous to play for Matt, but he definitely understood. He seems to be a very kind and empathetic human, like all the instructors here. Playing for someone in person is extremely difficult for me, too, especially because a few times I’ve tried people have been mean or sarcastic. That sort of deepens the fear when that happens. ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ Now I know who I can and can’t play in front of because two people I know are kind and encouraging. It just has to be someone you trust to not be judgey or mean. ๐Ÿ˜•

Ha, I should get a used keyboard, that’s a good idear! ๐Ÿ˜… It just has to be lightweight for moving. But yes, maybe once I get more comfortable with uke I’ll do that, although pianos can be useful tools to have around for learning uke as well. Because I’m more used to having the notes laid out that way and still get confused by the fretboard often.

You’re also working on Study in B Minor for the challenge? That’s the one I’m working on as well. I was going to go for Swan Lake but my brain is struggling with that technique for some reason.

I really want to learn Adelita, too, but I want to take my time and work through the course first because I want to learn it after imbibing all the course material.

Okay, that’s all my thoughts and reactions. ๐Ÿ˜‚ Here’s a snippet of A Mighty Fortress Is Our God that I have so far:

leb397
    Participant

@the_bumble_bard I love your arrangement! Cool picking sound. You are def improving. So fun watch.
    Yes Iโ€™m almost ready to post study in Bm. I must have recorded it 50 times but keep hearing dead notes. My fingers are sore. Iโ€™ll try again.
    Keep posting hymns. You are good.
    I spent time review cord progression today. Such a weak area. Also donโ€™t know about you, but when I memorize a challenge song I feel like Iโ€™m not learning the โ€œcordsโ€ – meaning I can play it but cant tell you the cord all the time. Something I really want to work on. Steven is good about repeating the cord name.
    Anywaaaaayโ€ฆ. Keep up the :). ๐Ÿ˜‰ faces

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@leb397, thank you so much! It seriously is so encouraging to hear that. Thank you. ๐Ÿ˜Š I have How Great Thou Art pretty much done but it may actually be too simple even for me, so I may have to do something else with it. Be Thou My Vision is close to done, too, and I’m pretty happy with it so far, but I’m pretty bad at playing it. ๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜‚ That’s the part that takes me the longest, is smoothing things out with my playing. But once I can get close to that point is my favorite part because then it’s easier to play with feeling, like with It Is Well With My Soul.

Oh my, yes. Sigh, yes I definitely have recorded that many takes before and played until my hands are sore. There have been times when I played uke almost all day, but then realized, uh oh, I should probably eat and not take things that far. I look forward to hearing you play that one. ๐Ÿ˜Š

I am also incredibly bad with chords and notes. ๐Ÿ˜… Knowing what individual notes are being played. I know the most basic chords, like C, G, F, etc., but once it starts getting too far beyond that, it’s hard for me to comprehend. Straight up, with these arrangements I try to do (apart from the most basic chords), I just guess what the chord is based on sound, shape, and chords/chord shapes I’ve seen in the arrangements here and elsewhere, but couldn’t tell you most of the chords names, which I know is terrible. ๐Ÿ˜•๐Ÿ˜… So yes… I feel that. ๐Ÿ˜…

But do you have to know all the chords to play the song? Do you mean the chords written above the tab? Sometimes I will look at those chords, but I thought those were just for reference in the tabs, not necessarily something you had to know. Are you suppose to look at that? ……… ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜ณ

Haha will do, friend! Will do! ๐Ÿฅถ๐Ÿคข๐Ÿ˜ต๐Ÿ˜ซ๐Ÿ˜ฉ๐Ÿ˜ฃ๐Ÿ˜–๐Ÿคฏ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ฒ๐Ÿ˜ฏ๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜ฆ Okay that’s enough. ๐Ÿ˜…

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.