Low G

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    lisadmh
    Participant

Who’s excited that this Friday is the first low G song? I am, I am!

I see it’s a level 3. Jeez Andrew, you’re really working some of us. I’m not even finished with this month’s challenge yet. Lol. At least I hope there are no stretches. My tenor is going low G and I don’t even stretch well on a soprano.

Whatever it may be, I can’t wait to restring and see what I can make of it. I suspect I’ll be peeking at my phone mid day at work to see what we’ve got!

curlyuke
    Participant

Level 3’s beyond me! I’ve been struggling with a couple of level 1’s for ages 🙂 Good luck Lisa!

Andrew
    Keymaster

Sneak peak on what’s to come tomorrow and our November Challenge: https://rockclass101.com/win-lesson-with-taimane-plus-kanilea

kanae926
    Participant

Lisa, I was looking forward to trying Low G lessons until I hit a brick wall with the October challenge that all capacity to move on has completely halted. 😭

But the November challenge!! It’s sounds so awesome!

mheiden
    Participant

Wow, the November challenge and song is exciting…..Taimane!! The additional prizes are awesome as well! Although the song is beyond my skill level, I”m going to see what I can do. I’m currently working on 2 other songs more advanced and it’s helped me alot.

lisadmh
    Participant

So I can’t get beyond bar 4 of moon but I put the low g string on anyway. I love the sound in theory but I have no idea what to do with it!

Any suggestions for an existing song, below level 3, that would sound ok with low g?

lisadmh
    Participant

Hey Andrew. Is it possible that the flamenco song actually works on low g? I’ve been trying every song I can muddle through and they’re all funky, but the flamenco might sound okay? It has one small melody run on the g string but maybe it’s okay?

Andrew
    Keymaster

Sure, Lisa – if you like how it sounds. If not, you can move those 3 notes up an octave to the first and second strings.

lisadmh
    Participant

Awesome. Looks like I get low g this month after a all. Added challenge, I strung my tenor to low g, and it’s huge for this soprano player. We’ll see if I can manage it.

lisadmh
    Participant

Question about low G. The G seems to have a lot more sustain than the other strings, which makes it overpowering and kind of annoying. Is that normal? I’ve got aquila strings on a mediocre Kala tenor.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Lisa, yes. Think of it like the C on re-entrant. That string is thicker than the others, thus it rings more pronounced. Therefore, we must take that into consideration when playing Low G that the same holds true.

On the contrast, ever notice how the High G rings quieter/softer. It all comes down to control of our attack.

robinboyd
    Participant

Hi Lisa,

In addition to what Andrew said, while all low G strings will sound a bit boomy and you can adjust your technique to account for that. Some are boomier than others. From memory, the wound Aquila is on the boomy end of the spectrum. The string that I’ve found kills the boominess best is the Aquila Red single unwound low G string (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aquila-RED-Tenor-Ukulele-String-4th-Unwound-Low-G-Tuning-72U-Single-String-/131698908341) (Uke Republic also has them). While it is the most effective for killing boominess, it is NOT what I currently have on my uke, nor is it my favourite low G. So far, I haven’t found a better one than the Freemont Soloist.

kanae926
    Participant

Ever since Kay ( @kayleighb) posted some YouTube videos from The Southern Ukulele Store, I’ve been following some of their stuff. Here’s a really helpful blog post they have explaining wound versus unwound Low G string (compares pros and cons).

I think what it comes down to is…every uke is different and everyone has a different ear, so may prefer a type over another, but until you try some (just like when you’re uke shopping), you really won’t know what’s best for you.

Personally, it’s all so new to me (ukuleles in general) that I’m not there yet with trying that many strings/wood types to know what I like or don’t like.

lisadmh
    Participant

Thanks guys. So it’s part equipment, part user error. I’ll work on the boominess. I love that word. Boominess. 😀

And maybe I’ll look for different strings. I seem to have acquired ukulele string acquisition syndrome now!

lisadmh
    Participant

Ah ah! Moment of joy. Things like sustain and attack make me nervous as I’m not a musician and I don’t know what I’m doing, but boominess I get. I can actually do it if I think of reducing the booominess, then translate that into control of attack. I’ve got this!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.