Low G

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    curlyuke
    Participant

Go Lisa 🌞 You got that boom 💣💥

robinboyd
    Participant

Hey @lisadmh – now that a few of us have uploaded videos for the challenge, you can start comparing strings in the videos. I’m using a Fremont Soloist, and it looks like Sarah (deadbuggy) is using an Aquila Red. It’s going to be difficult to get a good feel for it though because I recorded mine on my phone and it looks like Sarah has a pickup. I might see if I can do a recording on my Tenor at some point as well because that has an unwound Fluorocarbon low G.

becky7777
    Participant

REALLY Dumb question probably but if I put a low G on my uke can I re-use my old high G if I need to change it back or are they trashed once you take off a string? I tried to play moon earlier but once you get into the fancy picking pattern in bar 5 the high G just sounds really bad/wrong. (I was delusional that I could learn moon without the low g apparently…. I am probably delusional I can learn it at all at this point but it’s pretty..)

Also, how is everyone getting the song difficulty levels?? I’m not seeing anything that says level 3?

robinboyd
    Participant

I hope I’m not stepping on Andrew’s toes by fielding this one, but the answer is in theory, yes you can re-use it, but in practice, probably not. I’ll outline the reasons below.

1. Once a string has been used it’s more prone to breakage when restringing (or so I’ve been told. It has never actually happened to me, and I’ve re-used strings a few times). In any case, if it breaks, it breaks. No harm in trying.

2. This is the real crux of the matter. It depends a little bit on the style of bridge you have, but if you don’t have much extra string poking out of your tuner, then it will be hard to get the string to fit because it shrinks when you take it off. This is particularly true of tie-bar bridges because you need to untie and retie that end when you change your strings, whereas with other designs, you can leave the knot in that end. People that change their strings often will usually allow their strings to poke out of the tuners and curl around several times rather than trimming the ends for neatness. However, most shops will trim the ends after they come out of the tuners, and I actually do the same because I hate brushing the ends of the strings with my left hand when I play. What do your bridge and headstock look like?

Anyway, I hope that helps.

As for the song difficulty, if you go to this page (https://rockclass101.com/ukulele-songs/) it groups the songs by difficulty and Moon is in the “level 3” group.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by robinboyd.
    lisadmh
    Participant

Robin, thanks. I’ll check them out. I’m a big fan of Fluorocarbon so I’d like to hear those. I don’t think I can buy them for low G around here as it’s very limited but maybe online.

robinboyd
    Participant

I get all of my strings online. Even international postage is usually negligible. From memory, Uke Republic has a really good selection.

becky7777
    Participant

Thank you robin! Real-life face palm here. I was looking at the songs page themselves for the level. On the song listing page, I was always busy scrolling and didn’t pay attention to the level groupings. So yeah I feel really dumb about that!

My friend has taken it upon himself to order me an unknown low g aquila set. My bridge is just a normal tie-on kind. The strings I have now, came on my ukulele so are trimmed but have quite a few winds so it doesn’t sound hopeful it can be saved, but I will, just to have and see.

as for Andrew and the gang- I’m basic at the moment so I’m relying on the super community to field 99.9% of my dumb questions. No toes were stepped on during the typing of your answer and I thank you and everyone else very much! I ‘m just so grateful he opened his site and is sharing as much as he is. I’m going to throw money his way soon hopefully! The lessons are definitely worth it!

robinboyd
    Participant

@becky7777 – no harm in trying. If it doesn’t work then too bad.

lisadmh
    Participant

Hey guys. She Talks To Angels seems relatively low g friendly. It requires a few tweaks in the middle but they’re easy ones just using the a string instead of G, and the low g sounds like a nice adaptation in parts.

Andrew, shout out for She Talks to Angels in an upcoming challenge. I love it and need the month long motivation! Maybe a classic rock themed month?

All, please post songs on here you find that work with low g. We need to use our new strings! 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.