Participate in the January 2024 Member Challenge – You Decide What To Work On!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the January 2024 Member Challenge – You Decide What To Work On!

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 259 total)
  • Author
    muzikmama
    Participant

@katazumiri I don’t know the key signature but my ears heard shades of Barry Manilow in the Gm & D progression. Such things mustn’t be unusual though.

katazumiri
    Participant

@muzikmama I rarely manage to determine the chord progression by ear. If the progression is easy, something like that C – F – G – C, it’s easier for me to “calculate” it. And these two examples for me are “very interesting – but nothing is clear.”

Unfortunately, I’m not familiar with Barry Manilow. Does he have many songs with Gm & D progression? Could you name one?

katazumiri
    Participant

@The_Bumble_Bard That’s right, in G minor there are 2 flats (B flat and E flat).
    Have you noticed that the key signature of “Jmate li vino” also have 1 sharp? 🙂

And in the “Schottis fran Lima” there is no E flat in the melody, but it appears in the accompaniment.

malku2603
    Participant

Hello Andrew here is my progress so far on Fingerpicking etude number 5

marianne
    Participant

So fun to see what everybody’s been up to!
    This is my 2-week progress with Malagueña. I will not be able to post another video at the end of the month as I have a work trip but I will continue to finesse certain parts that need it.
    For now, happy of where I am at in terms of the set goals 🙂

This was a super fun experience, thanks @Andrew!

wannabgood
    Participant

@marianne Very beautiful performance. Bravo!

muzikmama
    Participant

@katazumiri It was after I listened to your playing again (both songs actually. I like that they’re different and you always execute it so well) that it sounded familiar (just that bit of the tune to my ears, not the chords lol). I had to see where you moved your fretting hand to know the chords. Not to say the song uses those exact chords as I don’t know. The song is “Could it be Magic”.
    Was happy to see the Star Wars Medley and Malaguena choices, by ccwuke and Marianne. So good 👏.

jamieo
    Participant

It’s better than I was a week ago… but not yet good.

mark1256
    Participant

OK. Is it alright to change goals midstream?

I continue to listen to multiple versions of this song over and over (Ashokan Farewell).
    The guitar version that I like keeps to 80 bpm. But as I continue to hear the fiddle versions, many are full of rubato, both slowing and speeding up. The emotion of this song just isn’t expressed in the guitar version that I’ve been working with. The fiddle songs all appear to be in the key of D. I’ve made the following changes to my goals.
    1. I’m forgetting the 80 bpm, will probably be a little slower and use rubato.
    2. I will play the song in the key of D without using the capo. I will transpose the tab I have from C to D. This is going to be much more difficult for me, especially since I had mastered the C tab.
    3. Since I am spending my effort on the D tab and I’m running out of time, I will make memorization a secondary goal.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@ccwuke – That was awesome, Chris! I just shared a clip in our social media posts today 🙂

@nelsonlin2021
    – Awesome progress on this tune, Nelson! Timing and strumming technique sound great! Couple suggestions. I’m not seeing/hearing enough articulation with the sweep strum. Go back to the mechanics lesson for that and work on getting each digit to deploy separately in rapid succession. This is probably the hardest technique in the course, IMO.

When you come down with the slap, your hand hand stops and pauses for a split second on the body. Try not to do this, we want to keep the down/up motion going, timed perfectly to the 16th note rhythm.

@mark1256
    – Such a pretty song, Mark! Nice job on the timing. Great work so far!

@jedart
    – You’ve got those triplets down now! Great feel, loved your performance!

@jody_hendrickson
    – Great job on the feel, I think playing it with the swing-like rhythm is one of the hardest aspects of this piece. Timing is excellent too! Looking forward to hearing your final take 🙂

@katazumiri
    – I like it! On the first tune, you’re playing a D Phrygian Dominant scale for that main melody. Very cool sound! Second tune is neat too!

@malku2603
    – Very nice! Excellent progress 🙂

@marianne
    – Incredible performance! You play with incredible expression and feel! I shared a clip in our social media posts today 🙂

@jamieo
    – That was an excellent take, Jamie! Fingerpicking looks and sounds great! My only suggestion would be to focus on timing. There’s a slight hesitation here and there – but it’s very minor! Try playing along with with me in the tab player, at a speed that’s comfortable. Try starting at 75% speed. When you can play it perfectly in time, bump it up by 5%, and work your way up to 100%.

marianne
    Participant

Thanks @wannabegood and @Andrew!

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@marianne, that was flippin’ amazing! Agreed with Andrew that it’s an incredible take played with incredible feeling. Jeepers creepers… 😂

I’m sorry, I can’t remember if you said, but is that a RC101 arrangement? Now I have to go look. 😅 Really, really well played though!

@katazumiri
    , that is quite intriguing with the key signatures. Straight up, I didn’t know that a key signature could have both sharps and flats written at the beginning of a song. 😅 With D Phrygian Dominant scale as you pointed out, @Andrew, the F sharp is what makes it dominant? I guess that’s also where the “d major” comes in with the song being in g minor ish, because d major has an f sharp (either that’s a painfully obvious statement, or incorrect, I’m not sure). 😅

gi_gi_
    Participant

Nice job everyone. Loving the inspiration from everyone.

ukandrea
    Participant

Hi Andrew, here is my result for this month’s challenge which I happily accepted:

I hope you enjoy my medley composition as much as I do.

Congrats to all my peer’s great work!!!

This was the task I had set for myself in my first post:

1) Execution – I want to create a medley / mesh-uo of two songs that have the same chord progression and play it on the piano and on the ukulele and mix it together (obviously I cannot do both same time :-)). I want to do it in an improvisation style without having notes for it.

2) Application – I will practice and record the piano part first and record it with metronome so that piano and ukulele can be in sync later. Then I will practice to improvise with the ukulele to the piano part. I will need several iterations for it. What sounds better? Just strumming, playing the melody? I need to find out when trying.

3) Evaluation – Practice each day and make test recordings. Listen to it, improve. Do it again.
    Best,
    Andrea

lhamilton
    Participant

Hi,

I’ve memorized and worked on the playing of Carolan’s Farewell to Music and here it is.

Linda
    I am a premium member

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 259 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.