counting

Home Page Forums Uke Talk counting

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    gstriph
    Participant

Hi Andrew!

I’ve finished the 1/16 note section of the reading course but I’m not sure how to count the first measure of this (just the first triplet). I was hoping that you’d help.

It’s part 3 of a lesson in ukulele magazine by Daniel Ward (I’m still on part 1, but I’m looking ahead…)

Thanks,
    Jerry

PS The whole article, if you’re interested, is here:

http://www.ukulelemag.com/uketube/lessons/ukulele-lesson-make-your-melodies-sing-with-hammer-ons-and-pull-offs?utm_source=Ukulele+Unlimited&utm_campaign=f52b636d39-UKN_Unlimited_09_09_169_6_2016_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_fe8749b901-f52b636d39-265299577&mc_cid=f52b636d39&mc_eid=9897372e94

Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi Jerry, as this isn’t RC101 related, it’s out of the scope of support I can help with.

becky7777
    Participant

Neat share, Thank you. Bookmarked it for the jig, but Can’t help at all with timing it.

gstriph
    Participant

I guess I should have just asked how to count triplets in 12/8 time. I found you still count them like in 4-4 time but that quarter notes have 1.5 rather than a 1 count… not sure what it means since the triplets are still in groups of 4 but I can follow along with the video.

becky7777
    Participant

Andrew did a video with dotted quarters and counting those if that would help?… Can’t for the life of me remember what it was in though right now. Maybe it’s Tu De Que Vas? That’s nagging at me as it might be where? I don’t know though offhand.

I’m adding a short bit of my ‘successful’ counting per last months feedback to the end of this month’s challenge. It’s painful. Counting is soooo hard lol. It really felt good to figure out the actual timing of a thing I added though. Major props to you (all) that can do this magical feat of coordination very musically. I can’t be consciously mindful of timing and play. (Yet I guess?)

becky7777
    Participant

Nope that wasn’t the lesson. I have no clue.

robinboyd
    Participant

Hi Becky. That “yet” is important. I’m currently far beyond my wildest dreams of what I thought I would achieve when I started playing. Just keep at it and see what happens.

becky7777
    Participant

Robin- Thanks 💖

kanae926
    Participant

Jerry, I don’t think those eighth notes in this case are triplets. They seem to just be grouped in threes to count easier.

12/8 time signature means there are 12 beats to a measure and the eighth note gets the beat. Quarter note would be worth two beats (dotted quarter is worth three beats). To be triplets in this time signature, you’d see three sixteenth notes making up the span of two beats (I think).

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by kanae926.
    kanae926
    Participant

Oh, I just realized you’re talking about example 3. 😂

That one looks more complicated. So he has a triplet in the second beat instead of it lasting two beats. That’s a fast triplet!

I’m bad at counting along…😬

If you’re counting each bar in threes as suggested by the article (one two three, two two three, three two three, four two three), then I think it’d be counted as: one trip-uh-let three, two trip-uh-let three, three trip-uh-let three, four trip-uh-let three?

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by kanae926.
    gstriph
    Participant

Thanks! Pretty confusing. I don’t think I’ve seen 12/8 before.

kanae926
    Participant

It might be what some might call uncommon time (as opposed to common time which is 4/4). I don’t do a lot of music reading, so my experience with 12/8 is pretty basic. I haven’t made much progress into the reading notation course like I should.

wabbit
    Participant

“Perfect” is in 12/8 time.

Perfect

gstriph
    Participant

Wabbit:

Aha! I’ll check that out. Thanks for finding that!

Jerry

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.