G string vs. 3rd fret on E string

Home Page Forums Uke Talk G string vs. 3rd fret on E string

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    rickeymike
    Participant

My ukulele is tuned but I hear just the tiniest sound difference between the two plucks. Is it just my imagination?

Andrew
    Keymaster

As long as there are no issues with the uke (has a proper set up / craftsmanship), what you would be hearing is a unison pitch but with a different timbre. Matt spoke about this and demonstrated it in this live lesson.

recdog
    Participant

I have seen this happen when my strings get older – lots of playing in the first position forms little fret dents on the bottoms of strings. It can also happen if your action at the nut is higher than necessary, pushing the string down.
    -Ron

robinboyd
    Participant

Hey Ricky – Do you have a clip on tuner or phone app that can tell you what note is being played? If so, compare what it says when you are fretting the E string to what it says when you are playing the open G string. If they are the same, then it is probably a case of the timbre being different like Andrew said.

FWIW none of my ukuleles have perfect intonation. They are all a little bit off as you head up the fretboard.

rickeymike
    Participant

Robin, I checked and double checked with a snark tuner and both register the exact same note, so it must be the timbre. It’s really almost unnoticeable until you play them in succession.

Recdog, thanks also. In general I can’t distinguish between a $100 bottle of wine and a $10 bottle. So I’m not going to “FRET” about it. LOL

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by rickeymike.
    rickeymike
    Participant

Thanks, Andrew. That finesse lesson was packed with info which I forgot. Have to save it to my youtube favorites!!

robinboyd
    Participant

Glad it’s not an intonation issue. If you want really different timbre, try the 7th fret on the C string!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.