New member Linda from charleston

Home Page Forums Introduce Yourself New member Linda from charleston

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ldarrow
    Participant

Hello all, I just began to learn in October. Am loving it so far. I have a uke question. The uke that was gifted to me back in October is beautiful has a mellow warm sound that I love. I discovered a hairline crack in the wood (you have to look very closely to see it). The sound does not seem to be affected, but I worry what will happen over the long haul as I plan to continue to learn. Thus, I returned it for anew one, same brand, same model. The new one’s sound is not as warm and mellow, so I am disappointed. My question is, do Ukes get more mellow as you play. I had been playing the Rotherham daily for 3 months and really can not say how it sounded on day 1. Is it possible that it is just new strings needing to be worked in? I am hoping the replacement will eventually sound like the original. What are your opinions?

robinboyd
    Participant

Hi Linda,

Here are my thoughts:

Do Ukes get more mellow as you play? – Some people say they do and some people say they don’t I don’t really know.

Is it possible that it is just new strings needing to be worked in? – That’s possible, but that should happen in a week or 2, particularly if you are playing every day.

Also, there can be a lot of variation in instruments of the same model. It could also be that you got a dud. I really don’t know, though.

ldarrow
    Participant

Thank you, the replacement does not sound bad, so I don’t think it’s a dud, it is just not as pleasing as the other to me. I just got the replacement today and am comparing it to one that i’ve Been playing for a couple of months. Am hoping it may just be strings that need to be worked in. My husband can not hear the difference, but I can. Thanks for your reply.

robinboyd
    Participant

I was confused. I thought you meant you had been playing the new one for a couple of months. Thanks for clarifying. Anyway, please let us know if anything changes in the next few weeks.

ldarrow
    Participant

I have been playing the replacement all evening and have decided to send the replacement back. It just does not sound as good to me. I am hoping they will try to send another, but if they don’t I have decided that I would rather have one with a hairline crack that I LOVE and enjoy playing than one that I will always be dissatisfied with. If I don’t love it, I am not as likely to pick it up and practice. Thanks for your thoughts, will let you know how it goes.

kanae926
    Participant

I’ve heard of all solid wood ukes opening up over time to produce a richer sound, but I don’t know about mellow. The type of strings you use can also affect the sound of the uke. They go dull over time and with more play which sound different than fresh ones, too. Maybe what you’re experiencing is a combination of all these things even if the replacement uke is the same brand/model.

ldarrow
    Participant

Thank you kanae926. It is a solid wood instrument. I had only had the first one for three months. Would not think that would be long enough for the opening up, that is why I was thinking that it might be strings. One of the people I had listen to them described as “the fist sounded like an instrument and the replacement like a toy.” Could also be my inexperience in playing. They have said the would send another for me to try. They are being very understanding. I only just beginning to learn this past October and I am loving it so much, I don’t want anything effect me in such a way that I would not want to pick it up. Am loving the tutorials here. Am only a basic member and look forward to signing up for premium when both my husband and I are working again (darn coved). For now I am taking advantage of the free lessons. Thanks so much for your thoughts on this.

Andrew
    Keymaster

I set you up with 3 months of premium, Linda. Have fun! 🙂

ldarrow
    Participant

wow, I can not believe it. Thank you so much Andrew.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.