The Accountability Thread – Participate in the September 2017 Member Challenge

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges The Accountability Thread – Participate in the September 2017 Member Challenge

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 97 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Sounds great Margo!

On my end, I finally got around to practicing what I initially set out to work on for this month’s challenge: Triplet picking. Here’s a short little video of the technique used in an upcoming country lesson: Tennessee Waltz. I opted to use a bit of free time and create a feel that started slow, peaked, and then declined. I think it sounds really cool and suits the ending of this song very well.

Btw, I’m really enjoying this technique, it’s a lot of fun! I’m looking forward to using it in future lessons too.

rillke
    Participant

Hi, everyone!

Could you please help me to find a piece I really planned to use for this month challenge? I started playing it before August challenge was launched (I was practicing Waimanalo for that one) and I was really attracted by that backbeat, but I stopped as Waimanalo blues was also based on that technique)

Here is a piece I remember by heart, I’ve looked through the site, but I totally can’t find that video anywhere! I would like to write my 3 steps motivation plan about this technique!

Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi rillke, that piece is EP004 – 2 Chord Jam from our Concept Lessons series. Great playing, that would be a great song for the challenge!

rillke
    Participant

Thank you, Andrew, that’s the song!

So, I would like to provide my 3 Steps for Improving Theory:

1. First of all, I would like to emphasise that I found that Execution-Application-Evaluation theory methodologically smart and helpful, no doubts, for all the ‘students’ who are on the way of achieving their goals. Those steps 100% correspond to S.M.A.R.T goals (specific-measurable, relevant, etc.) that are used now by the greatest teachers and help many people not to give up. So, I am really happy that such a practice was organized here, and the ability to attract people and motivate them to improve not chaotically, but according to some schedule – I think that’s what we call a great teaching example (and learning).
    So, *Execution*. First, my practice schedule (I bought my ukulele last summer) has become regular only with monthly challendges and signing up for membership in general. I used to learn with Youtube videos (Rock Class 101 and others), but it was something incomplete and I used to practice ‘here and there and everywhere’. With song Sheets, that nice program, 2 parts videos – feeling that you can move step by step has appeared. I practice now everyday now, min 15 minutes if I don’t have time at all, about 30 minutes in general. I am working at adding backbeat now, and I would like to move left hand along the fingerboard smoothly and confidentally because 1) I will need it in most of the songs I like in the 4th Level (e.g. Sultans of Swing) 2) in the style of playing that is starting to form it will be important.
    BY the end of the month I would like to be able to perform 2 Chord Jam fully and without mistakes.

2. Application
    – As far as I understood from the task – I should also choose one song where the technique is used? If so, let it be “Paint It Blacker – EP007”, as it’s great!

3. Evaluation
    I believe it’s good to constantly to report (to yourself and to your Guide if you have it) to assess your progress – so I think it’s worth it to report once a week to ‘ginger’ (hah I’m not sure about how that sounds in English))) yourself and your progress.

That’s it, good luck to everyone!

lyndallk
    Participant

9 Days after I set my challenge here is where I’m up to.

Successes – although I haven’t actually developed a strategy for playing, just doing this challenge has meant I’ve put more attention on my practicing
    – I did look at your practice video Andrew, and wrote notes, even looked at the ear practice site you suggested. That didn’t work out so well for me – so I decided to try and work out what i liked in some songs on the uku. I’ll post some of the videos or audios of those later this week or next.
    The ear practice was on the Eva Cassidy version of “time after time” and the rhythm for “Gatekeeper” while singing, and a lead break in “Everything I do gohn be funky” Also practiced some chord inversions on “Gatekeeper” for fun

Still to do – systematic way to increase my strumming range.

Thanks again for the challenge

lyndallk
    Participant

Andrew thanks for the reply about fleshing out my plan. I didn’t actually see it until today, so I will expand on the detail of my strategy as you suggested.

Cheers
    Lyndall

philrab66
    Participant

EXECUTION
    I am going to learn Yankee doodle. I know a few chords and I mainly fingerpick but I belong to 2 groups where we strum and sing.Goal for the month is to learn whole song and get it to sound in time with some dynamics.

APPLICATION
    I will be learning 4 bars then going on to next with correct timing

EVALUATION

I may post a few videos as I go for another perspective on my playing. Watching my performance is a good way to see my progress.

I am also doing a bit of ear training to figure out keys and chord progressions.
    Phil
    Been practicing melody A can do it fairly well until I press record

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by philrab66.
    vidafntn
    Participant

Hi, Andrew,

One of my main goals for this month is to play my song cleanly without it being choppy. About a week ago, I replaced my 9 month old Aquila strings on the baritone uke with a set of red series Aquila strings. They have beautiful sound and are very responsive. However, I notice, particularly with the wound strings numbers 3 and 4, when I take a finger off of the string, I get a faint sound of the note in open position. I did not hook the string on the way off, just lifted the finger off. What am I doing wrong? Do I have excess finger pressure on the strings? My old clunky strings did not do this.

The piece Mr. Sandman is coming along fine, but I still have trouble with the chord change just before the tune repeats and also the ones near the end where the thumb is used to hold down string 4. It is going to take a lot more practice to get these transitions smooth.

Vida

Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi rillke, I’m glad you enjoy the challenge and the steps. I’m looking forward to hearing your progress on the song and technique 🙂

My pleasure Lyndall! Structured practice is the best way to get results. And by the way, if anyone likes to write things down that they’re working on, one of our members created a great practice spreadsheet which is available HERE.

Sounds great Phil, honestly you’re almost there! Keep up the good work.

Totally normal Vida. Sometimes when we lift up the string pulls with our finger(s). It drives me crazy too! For the challenging chord sections, focus on playing the transitions only; you can put it into a time frame, for example: Strum one chord on beat one, then strum the next chord on beat 3. Loop this one bar, start slow and as you get a hang of it increase the tempo.

rickeymike
    Participant

Here is my update video of Melody A for Yankee Doodle. Note that I did not use the index and middle fingers for the 5-6 pluck. Instead I used ring and middle fingers because I was having trouble with rotating my wrist to get into the correct position as you played it. Also, am I playing this a little “tinny”? Is it me or the uke or both?

lisadmh
    Participant

It’s a little early but I’m going to be off the grid for the next ten days with no uke.

I feel like I have improved on my back beat, but I think you can see that string 3 still doesn’t ring out great on the pluck after the slap. Am I wrong on that? At least I finally memorized this song, yay!

It’s still far from perfect but I feel okay with this having picked up my first uke only 7 months ago. I do love this song. Thanks Andrew!

And notice my birthday present, a solid mahogany soprano islander? I love, love, love it!

Feedback very welcome.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by lisadmh.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Excellent job Rickey, your timing is great! I’d work on the five – six finger switch though. Your wrist should not rotate during this part, perhaps you were doing something funky that made it uncomfortable. Feel free to send me an email or post a video reply and I’ll be happy to take a look and see what’s going on. Keep up the good work though, it sounds great!

Wow Lisa, way to go! And congrats on the new uke!

I made a short little video with some feedback for both of you, let me know if you guys have any questions 🙂

philrab66
    Participant

Hi Rickey try and remove your arm of the chair

philrab66
    Participant

My 2nd video of my practice. Before I shot this video I played it perfectly so I thought I would record it. A few fluff ups in this one.Any thoughts on my playing Andrew also any tips for recording without putting pressure on yourself. Have you any tips for me on not wrapping my thumb over the top.I should have listened to my guitar teacher from the start.
    Thanks Phil.

Andrew
    Keymaster

I thought it was excellent Phil! The thumb placement is an issue though, because where it’s at currently will limit your mobility. The reason being, is because it perpetuates hugging the neck.

Your guitar teacher was right, what ends up happening (and I’ve seen it a lot as a private lessons instructor) is that bad technique ends up becoming bad habits. But, habits can be broken.

So I talked about thumb placement in this lesson and the video below (3:51 into it). Our thumb is usually placed slightly above the middle of the neck, but depending on what you’re playing, it can poke out on the top of the neck just a bit. So what I would do if I was you, is to go back to the beginning and practice some of your basic chords and simple fingerpicking and be very conscious of your thumb placement. If you’re still taking lessons, you can get feedback directly. And you’re always welcome to post here or email me, and I’d be happy to help track your progress.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 97 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.