The Accountability Thread – Participate in the September 2017 Member Challenge

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges The Accountability Thread – Participate in the September 2017 Member Challenge

Viewing 7 posts - 91 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • Author
    rickeymike
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback, Andrew. And thanks for pointing out my left hand dexterity. Do you have a particular course module for this. I promise I’ll warm up with it 5 minutes each day before I start learning “Adam’s Family”. When I took up the Uke this past January and before I even bought a ukulele, I went through 2 weeks of arguing with my group instructor over playing left handed. I’m a total lefty but she kept insisting to play it right handed. I finally gave in and tried it without reversing the strings. Guess what, she was right ( I think).

Andrew
    Keymaster

Great job Kay! It’s totally fine to use the pinky as an anchor, but I wouldn’t use it to support the ukulele. We’ve got some tips on holding it in the Beginner’s Course.

My pleasure Rickey! Give the beginner lessons in the Fingerpicking Course a shot, those will definitely help!

—-

I want to thank everyone who participated in this month’s challenge. This was our hardest challenge to date, requiring the most effort on your part. I’m proud of all of you and am impressed by everyone’s progression!

For the prize, I included everyone who posted at least twice throughout the month. If you haven’t posted your final update, please do. I’d be happy to offer advice 🙂 Remember, the big takeaway from this month and every challenge is that we’re improving and supporting one another as a community. Great job everyone! And congrats to our winner:

null

lisadmh
    Participant

Congratulations vidafntn! I hope you enjoy your lesson.

Andrew, do we get a new accountability thread or do we keep using this one outside of the contest? I already have my next accountability challenge for myself.

Andrew
    Keymaster

We can keep this one going 🙂

lisadmh
    Participant

Ok. So my next goal for myself is to start to learn how to relax my left wrist. I’m rock solid at the wrist. It’s really getting sore and hampering me.

I will consciously relax on my easiest songs, playing super slowly. The beginner’s blues and my first song, and in the hall of the mountain king, as initial exercises. When i get that down I’ll move to songs i can play but that take a little more effort, because i need to read the sheets – aura lee and ode to joy. The next step will be my hardest song, waimanalo blues, and if i can the halloween challeng song I’ll be learning from scratch.

I have a feeling this will be slow but it’ll be worth it.

Update by the end of the month and beyond.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Great plan Lisa!

Andrew
    Keymaster

I thought it would be great to revive this post 🙂 Here’s what I’m working on and please share what you are doing too!

1) Execution – Adding a percussive beat to jazz up simple strumming. I found this performance on Reddit and thought it was too cool not to learn!

2) Application – I could use it over any strumming and singing song. A nice way to add a beat other than “chucking“.

3) Evaluation – Here’s where I’m at on day 2. I’d like to have it more fluid and “natural”. I plan to post a lesson on the technique next year.

Viewing 7 posts - 91 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.