Tips on Remembering the songs

Home Page Forums Rock Class 101 Ukulele Lessons Tips on Remembering the songs

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Hi Everyone!

Just want to say thank you for all this amazing education …I have learned so much and I am progressing well I feel! It’s so much fun!

I have a question…I love to play and I can learn a song it seems within a weeks time but I feel like it’s hard to remember the songs if I learn from tab…I become dependent on it.
    Does anyone have any tips on how they learn a song and then go to remember it? Is it just me..getting too old?
    Thanks in advance!
    Helen

rickeymike
    Participant

Helen, it’s not just you. This is a real big problem with me. I would have to play each song that I’ve learned every day. Since I began Rockclass 15 months ago, this has been my biggest frustration.

lisadmh
    Participant

This is probably the area where I feel like I’ve made the most progress over the past year or so. I memorize much easier. Still an effort, but they come together a lot faster and I can put away the tabs. Maybe it comes with time? How long have you been playing?

mheiden
    Participant

Hi Helen,
    I take longer to learn the songs initially, but I learn it all from the video.
    I do print the tab out and reference it, but play bar by bar in pieces until I go through all of it. From there it is repetition. I’ve only been a member since June, but I regularly play the songs I’ve learned to keep a flow going. Seems when I forget, I pull out the music and look to figure it out.

I have just started tabs in this last year…before that it was just chords, strumming and singing…I use to play guitar…but it was the same…just chords. I can play Etude 5 and have it memorized…but sometimes I feel like I want to remember much faster. I know that when I learn from the video’s I do memorize the songs quicker but..the patience to go through a lesson is just hard. I like the the tabs player at the bottom of the lessons. To me I like to just hear the notes and then try it. Maybe I need more patience! Ha! Ha!

kayleighb

I find it easier to learn if I don’t look at the tab. Learn from the video and then it’s just a case of repetition. Some bits are always easier to learn from others and you will find at some point the song will just click into place, but that takes longer for some than others.

I always print of the tab for reference, but find if I use it too much I end up relying on it

incywincy
    Participant

It’s tough to know which way to go. I print out the music/tabs, for reference and to remind myself of the tune if I forget it later on when I haven’t played it for a while. But I learn from the video, endlessly pausing and looping. I try to mentally ‘see’ as well as feel the pattern of shapes my left hand is making in relation to the tune. It’s a bit strange because I now find that with tunes I know well, if I look at my left fingers while playing my brain gets confused and forgets the pattern so I can’t play as well as I can when not looking.

But I try to use the music notation too, because eventually I would like to be able to learn a piece on my own, so I guess we need both skills.

Thank you everyone…I am going to try the videos first…with tab reference maybe that will help me remember it..instead of just learning to play it. It’s funny because it’s two different things I suppose with my brain. Have fun with the uke! We live in amazing times!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.