Uke DIY

Home Page Forums Discuss Your Gear Uke DIY

Tagged: 

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    jinajupiter
    Participant

Hello dear fellow Ukulele students. I bought a very cheap ukulele diy package and wanted to show the progress. I expect it will take about a month with all the drying and my personal schedule. At the very end I will make a short video how it sounds. I payed about 9 € or 8 US$. Additional so far I had to buy wood glue and a little piece of wood to connect the neck to the body. That was missing in the little bag with the tuning pegs and strings. In the bag were also fretboard dot inlays, that I wil obviously not use with the plastic fretboard. On the first pic you can see the parts, the fretboards neck and body. How I received it.

jinajupiter
    Participant

The was a hole in the body and bottom of the neck to put a peg to connect the two before glueing. I bought a rounded stick and the hardware store and glued everything together. After the glue dried I closed the gaps with wood filler. I think that will take a while probably a week or so, to dry before I can paint the whole thing. So there will be a continuation of this story in about a week.

citznmag
    Participant

Hi. I’ve wanted to try this myself. Where did you order the kit? Can’t wait to see you final result.

rickeymike
    Participant

Good Luck. Please play a tune when you finish.

nthibode

Fun project — I hope it goes well! Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

jinajupiter
    Participant

Sanding it down and spay painted a layer of primer. All the hairs of the wood started to stand up so I will have to sand it down again. It might sound better without a layer of paint but I am trying to find out if this makes sense to do with kids.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by jinajupiter.
    jinajupiter
    Participant

It’s red now. I put a piece of paper inside to not spay paint the inside.

becky7777
    Participant

looking great! Can’t wait to see how it finishes up.

jinajupiter
    Participant

The uke is now fully decorated. With red spay paint and black and silver acrylic markers and a thin layer of varnish. I hope it won’t dampen the sound.
    I ordered a wooden fretboard and am still waiting for the postman to bring me a wooden bridge, this one is plastic. So was the fretboard included in the kit. Don’t know if it makes a world of difference in sound but it just looks better.

lisadmh
    Participant

Cute paint job! It’s looking great.

robinboyd
    Participant

Pretty!

becky7777
    Participant

Awesome decoration on your uke! I agree the wooden fretboard looks nice.

My friend has a uke he covered in stickers and glued-on art. It still sounded fine until it got stepped on or something during a party he had like 10 days ago. (I saw it laying in pieces last week. And people wonder why I don’t let people who can barely stand “see” my tiny tenor…) I don’t think varnish will hurt the sound, to protect your paint job. (But I have no idea.)

tastyshrimp
    Participant

That’s looking really cool!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.