Barre chords up the neck

Home Page Forums Rock Class 101 Ukulele Lessons Barre chords up the neck

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    robinboyd
    Participant

So I’m still very slowly working my way through Moonlight Sonata and building up my tolerance for a lot of stretch chords and barre chords. Anyway, I find that on page 4, my thumb tends to give out and I also find it hard to grip the neck around the point where it meets the body. The 14 12 12 15 chord is a good example of this. Anyway, I’ve found that I can fret chords that are high up the neck by pulling the uke hard against my body with my arm rather than squeezing the neck with my thumb. Is this a valid technique? It feels like what I need to do to get a clean sound up there and also save my thumb…

Andrew
    Keymaster

For something that high, I’d try this fingering: middle for G, barre with index and ring for A. Should make it easier, but you’re really fighting against the edge of the body/lack of space. A cutaway would make it much easier.

robinboyd
    Participant

Lol. A cutaway would make it easier, but the real issue is being unable to squeeze the neck that high up because of the thickness, not being unable to access the frets. I can get to the frets, its just a matter of applying pressure.

lisadmh
    Participant

For what it’s worth, I’m cheating on the bars up that high on people are strange. I’m two stringing everything as I can’t get all three. Don’t be a cheater. Don’t be like me. 😀😀😀

robinboyd
    Participant

I already cheat by playing the 1245 chord as X245…

becky7777
    Participant

Robin what do you mean by your thumb giving out? Pain?

robinboyd
    Participant

A bit of pain but more weakness. I physically can’t hold the chord enough to get a good tone any more. Keep in mind that this is after a really long section of barre chords, stretch chords, and playing up the neck. It’s not that I can’t do it normally, just that I’m fatigued. Matt talks about this in the La Vie En Rose lesson, and trust me, this is way more tiring than that.

robinboyd
    Participant

Hi Guys. I thought it was easier to show rather than explain, so I made a video.

ukeher
    Participant

Craig Chee talks about doing just what you are describing: using your big arm muscle to add leverage (? – maybe that’s not quite the right term) to assist in playing barre chords. He’s a really nice guy. I’m sure if you contacted him he could explain it more clearly to you.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Robin, you need to use thumb for leverage. For that chord, your thumb should be behind the neck around the 9th or 10th fret – basically offset to the left, so that you avoid the end of the neck hump that attaches it to the body.

robinboyd
    Participant

Thanks guys. The thumb is already where Andrew describes and it’s good to hear Craig Chee also uses this technique a bit. I played through to the end of theme 4 yesterday, so I think I’m getting there. Fingering gets easier after theme 4.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.