Beginner course- Backbeat lesson

Home Page Forums Rock Class 101 Ukulele Lessons Beginner course- Backbeat lesson

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    joelnal

Hi Andrew,

I have a question about the “Adding a Backbeat” lesson. I get the concept of forming a claw and hitting the strings for the backbeat sound. My question is about the pluck. I am struggling with this. Is it a hard, full pluck? I feel like I am only brushing a few of the strings and I feel like it takes my hand too far away from the instrument to get back into the strumming pattern. Any tips?

Also, beforeI started this program, I learned a chucking method from youtube videos. I am thinking that’s a different technique than what is covered in this lesson. Just want to confirm. For chucking, I learned that it is like a strum down but pressing the strings as soon as you hit them.

Thanks,
    Joel

Andrew
    Keymaster

You probably learned the other way to chuck:

Which one to use is dependent on if you are following the chuck with a pluck or a strum.

For your first question, you come up with a pluck that uses the same strength as if you were plucking a single note melody line. If you still feel it’s not right, post a video and I can take a look to make sure all looks okay.

joelnal

Thanks Andrew, this is very helpful! And it made sense! I need a second cup of coffee myself 🙂

You’re right, I definitely learned the second method. Your explanation of the first method in this video is very helpful and gives me the information I need to keep practicing it.

Thanks!
    Joel

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.