Participate in the April 2024 Challenge: Double Kanile’a Giveaway ($4,500)

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the April 2024 Challenge: Double Kanile’a Giveaway ($4,500)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi Rock Class 101 Community!

We are back with a VERY SPECIAL site member challenge #85! We’re teaming up with Kanile’a ‘Ukulele and Uke Republic to give away TWO INCREDIBLE Kanile’a Ukuleles! The grand prize for our Spring Challenge is a Kanile’a Oha Baritone model retailing at $1,400 USD and the prize for our Fall Challenge is a Kanile’a KTR Tenor model which retails for $3,100 USD.

I am beyond humbled to say that there has now been over 4,500+ members participating in our challenges! AMAZING! If you’ve sat on the sidelines, please join us for this month’s challenge! Challenges are a fun way to stay motivated and a great way to meet fellow ukulele players who are passionate about learning and becoming better players. And I offer feedback on ALL submissions! 🙂

Please watch the video above and read instructions below carefully for details/instructions on this month’s challenge.

Pick 1 from the following 8 RC101 Lessons:

1) Just Like My Dreams – Learn to strum and solo over a beautiful love song. This lesson features a full-band jam track with piano, guitar, vocals, and drums.

Note: If you choose this song, you MUST perform with the backing track. The backing track requires premium membership to download. You can choose to perform either the rhythm part, as played by Evan, the lead part as played by Evan, or a combination of both, as taught by Andrew.

2) Punk-182 – Learn to play a punk rock song inspired by the music of Blink-182! This lesson includes a full-band jam track.

Note: Requires Low G ukulele. If you choose this song, you MUST perform with the backing track. The backing track requires premium membership to download.

3) The 4/4 Waltz * – This song, which draws inspiration from classical music, has a charming melody that’s reminiscent of a lullaby.

* Taught in its entirety for FREE!

4) Bella Vita * – Learn a beautiful fingerstyle piece inspired by the romantic period in classical music.

Note: Requires Low G ukulele.

5) Daft Funk – Learn to play a funk rock song inspired by the music of Daft Punk! This duet is arranged for High G ukulele and baritone.

Note: You can choose to perform either the High G ukulele part or the baritone part. Performing with the backing track is required. The backing track requires premium membership to download.

6) The Moonlit Trio – Learn a beautiful composition that transitions from a solo piece to a duet and finally to a trio, providing you with experience performing in an ensemble setting at each stage.

Note: Requires Low G ukulele. You MUST perform the rhythm ukulele part. Performing with the backing track is required. The backing track requires premium membership to download.

7) The Aching Waltz – Learn to play a gypsy jazz waltz! This piece is arranged for a quintet, including lead and rhythm ukulele/guitar and stand-up bass.

Note: If you choose this song, you MUST perform with the backing track. The backing track requires premium membership to download. You can choose to perform either the rhythm part, as played by Evan, the lead part as played by Evan, or a combination of both, as taught by Andrew.

8) Fingerpicking Etude no. 13 * – This etude is jam-packed with concepts and playing techniques that will help the beginner player transition to the intermediate level.

** If you need assistance with how to record yourself check out our FREE course on recording audio/video and/or private message me and I will be happy to help you out. **

GOALS FOR MEMBER CHALLENGE:

1. Beginner Level: Be able to play one of the lessons as shown by Andrew smoothly and in time. Don’t worry about trying to play fast; slow and steady wins the race 🙂

Recommended Piece: Fingerpicking Etude no. 13

2. Intermediate to Advanced Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at or close to the original piece’s tempo.

Recommended Piece: “Just Like My Dreams” [ADVANCED], “Punk-182” [INTERMEDIATE], “The 4/4 Waltz” [INTERMEDIATE], “Bella Vita” [ADVANCED], “Daft Funk” [INTERMEDIATE], “The Moonlit Trio” [ADVANCED], “The Aching Waltz” [ADVANCED]

3. Participation Goal: 100 Rock Class 101 Member Participant Videos/MP3 posted.

GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:

1. Post your Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud links of you playing 1 of the 8 RC101 pieces anytime between Monday, April 1st till Tuesday, April 30th, 11:59pm ET.

The upload feature on the site only supports photos. Members must host their own files. Creating an account is easy and free 🙂 Here are the links to create an account:

YouTube (For Video) – https://www.youtube.com/create_channel

SoundCloud (For Audio) – https://soundcloud.com/signin

2. Submit individually, as a reply, IN THIS POST.

3. Feel free to submit more than one video for the challenge, but additional videos will not count as extra entries into the raffle for the prize.

4. Have fun and don’t be intimidated by this challenge!!! Use this challenge to help you set goals and complete them by a deadline. You can also use this as an opportunity to chat with your fellow Rock Class 101 members and share tips or tricks on this challenge that you think are useful.

5. You must perform the entire piece to receive an entry into the prize raffle. Performance must be submitted by the deadline listed (in #1) above to gain an entry in the raffle, as well as, to receive feedback.

* Note: In my opinion, it is better to show progress versus perfection with these challenges. So if you are a beginner and can only play the first couple of measures. That is completely ok. If you play two more measures of the next challenge piece than you did the previous one, you are on track to getting better. This is what these challenges are about… you learning ukulele and getting better. Remember we are all here to support you no matter what your current playing level is.

COMMON FAQs:

1) The prize and the challenge is open to the entire world!

2) Premium membership is NOT required to participate, but will make participation easier as it gains you complete access to the full video lessons, tabs, and the on-screen tab viewer.

3) Basic membership (free) is required to submit a reply on this forum post. You can sign up for Basic Membership HERE.

4) To post YouTube video links (in which they appear embedded on the forum), simply copy and past the video URL in its own line. For example:

YouTube URL

5) If you live in the Continental U.S., we will ship the giveaway ukulele to you for FREE! If you live outside of the Continental U.S., there will be a shipping fee ranging between $40 USD to $80 USD (as this ukulele is very expensive, shipping costs may exceed this amount. It will be shipped insured). This fee will be collected by Uke Republic. You are also responsible for any custom fees or duties.

Giveaway Rules:

You will have 3 chances to win the baritone ukulele and 6 chances to win the tenor ukulele. This means that all entries submitted in the Spring will count towards the Fall prize.

SPRING CHALLENGES:

First Chance: Participate in our April Challenge: Original Music!

Second Chance: Participate in our May Challenge.

Third Chance: Participate in our June Challenge.

FALL CHALLENGES:

Fourth Chance: Participate in our October Challenge.

Fifth Chance: Participate in our November Challenge.

Sixth Chance: Participate in our December Challenge.

Basic (free) members will receive 1 entry for each month they participate in, while Premium members will receive 2 entries.

On July 4th at 2pm ET, I will be live streaming on our YouTube channel, picking 2 members by random drawing. The grand prize winner will take home the $1,400 Kanile’a Baritone Ukulele, while the runner-up will be awarded 10 extra entries for the $3,100 Kanile’a KTR Tenor Ukulele. This event will mark the end of our Spring Challenges (April, May, June).

We will break for July, August, and September. Additional entries for the $3,100 Kanile’a KTR Tenor Ukulele prize will resume for our Fall Challenges (October, November, December).

On Christmas Eve (December 24th at 2 PM ET), I will be live streaming on our YouTube channel, picking 1 member by random drawing that will WIN the $3,100 Kanile’a KTR Tenor Ukulele!

To qualify to win, you must submit your audio and/or video links of your playing by the deadline listed above.

Basic members can earn up to 3 entries for the Spring prize and 6 entries for the Fall prize.

Premium members can earn up to 6 entries for the Spring prize and 12 entries for the Fall prize.

You must have an “active” premium membership at the time you submit your performance. Active membership means that your membership HAS NOT expired. This does not mean that you cannot cancel auto re-bills. If you sign up for monthly membership (valid for 30 days) on the 15th of April and cancel your membership the same day, then submit your performance on the 16th (the next day), you are still considered an “active” premium member. The same concept applies for annual membership or gift card membership (3 or 6 month membership).

YOU MUST WRITE “I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER” ON YOUR PERFORMANCE SUBMITTAL POST. Please write this phrase in its own line. For example:

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

I will only award 2 entries to premium members that write this line. It would be too time consuming to check if everyone who submits is a premium member. If you do not write this, you WILL NOT receive 2 entries.

Grand Prize for SPRING:

1) $1,400 Grand Prize! Includes:

A) Kanile’a Oha Series Baritone Ukulele w/ L.R. Baggs 5.0 Pickup & Padded Case

null

null

null

null

null

OUR 10 PREVIOUS KANILE’A WINNERS! WILL YOU BE NEXT?

null

LISTEN TO THIS SWEET UKE BEING PLAYED!

UKULELE SPECS

Baritone Scale
    Select Solid Koa Top
    Solid South American Mahogany Back and Sides
    Rosewood Finger-Board and Bridge
    Pin Bridge
    Pearl Position Dots
    Pearl Kanile’a Logo Inlay on Headstock
    Kanile’a Geared Tuners w/ Blk Buttons
    UV Natural Finish
    Aquila Strings
    Geared Tuners
    Made in Hawaii

Other Features: Includes a black hard foam case & L.R. Baggs FIVE.0 pickup

Runner-Up Prize for SPRING:

1) 10 Extra Entries for the Fall Challenge!

null

Grand Prize for FALL:

1) $3,100 Grand Prize! Includes:

A) Kanile’a KTR Tenor Ukulele (New Model for 2024)

null

null

null

null

null

OUR 10 PREVIOUS KANILE’A WINNERS! WILL YOU BE NEXT?

null

LISTEN TO THIS SWEET UKE BEING PLAYED!

UKULELE SPECS

Tenor Scale
    Solid Hawaiian Koa Front, Back, and Sides
    Kirinite Rosette
    Black Front Binding
    TRU-Relief with TRU-Reduction
    Phoenix Slotted Headstock
    Ebony Fingerboard, Bridge and Headplate
    Kirinite Thin Diamond Position Markers and Logo
    Graphite Infused Black TUSQ Nut and Saddle
    UV Cured High Gloss Body
    UV Cured Silk Neck
    Gotoh Stealth Tuners Black
    Kanile’a Exclusive Radiused Back
    Kanile’a Exclusive Ebony Bridge Pins
    Kanile’a Exclusive TRU-R Bracing System
    Made in Hawaii

Other Features: Includes a premium Kanile’a carrying case

THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS!

Kanile’a: https://www.kanileaukulele.com/

Uke Republic: http://www.ukerepublic.com/

AND A SPECIAL THANKS TO YOU! Let’s crush this challenge!

gi_gi_
    Participant

@Andrew Wow…. “Just like my dreams” is so beautiful. I could feel your emotions as you played and spoke about it. I would love to learn it. I wonder if I have the time to dedicate to it this month. I’m torn between which song to oearn. There are so many beautiful ones. You are such a good Musician Andrew. Thanks for sharing your music with us.

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

So exciting! What a beautiful and eclectic spread of tunes indeed. Agreed with what @gi_gi_ said, it’s impossible to choose. 😊

Also, those kanile’as… I feel like I shouldn’t be allowed to have either of those, due to being excessively clumsy and an excessive fangirl, but they’re both really beautiful. I think I actually started drooling looking at the second one… 😂😅

Oh my gosh, and there’s a golden ticket that you can win that lets you go to Uke Land! Wow, what a challenge… 😂

gi_gi_
    Participant

@The_Bumble_Bard IKR?! I love that baritone 😱😱😱 That would be a dream. This month’s challenge should be named “In your dreams” 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣 I’m leaning towards the Moonlit Trio. We’ll see. Which one are you leaning towards @The_Bumble_Bard?

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by gi_gi_.
    • This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by gi_gi_.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

I appreciate the kind words Gi Gi 😊

robinboyd
    Participant

D’oh, when I saw the start of your video, I thought The Explorer was going to be an option. Oh well, I’ll find something

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@gi_gi_ hahaha so true! I’ve never played a baritone uke before but it sounds so beautiful. That seriously would be a dream. 😂😅 Obviously, the appeal has nothing to do with the fact that Andrew has played the uke. 😂😅😂😅 That is really cool and sweet though, probably a sentimental prospect for anyone here who loves RC101. 😊

Oh I missed your edit, Gi Gi. I also was thinking of trying Moonlit Trio OR the impossibly difficult gypsy jazz one. I’m fairly sure that was one of the options. 😂😅

garryrow
    Participant

Hi Andrew,
    I was looking at finger etude #13.
    (Beautiful piece for such simple seeming music – very meditative) I play the opening bar (melody on frets 10 5 7 and 2) slightly differently to the way you show . Instead of sliding up and down I play fret 10 with my little finger (pinky) fret 5 with my 1st finger, fret 7 with my 3rd finger and fret 2 with my 1st finger again.
    I presume this is OK for the challenge.
    Cheers
    Garry

gi_gi_
    Participant

@robinboyd Hey Robin, long time no see or hear. How are things?

@The_Bumble_Bard
    I have never played a baritone either but the one @Marianne plays sounds so amazing. I want to be like her one day sooooo….maybe the instrument would help 😂🤣😂🤣 The fact that it’s @Andrew’s is even more awesome….

dianna
    Participant

Gorgeous pieces…….I’m always astonished at the caliber of lessons we have here……such a blessing for lovers of the ukulele. I agree with @gi_gi, Andrew’s ‘Just Like My Dreams,’ is stunning…..and the performance is amazing……you can feel the exuberant emotion in the piece….it’s joyful. What an honor it must be for the one who inspired it.

I do have a question…….I love the gypsy jazz piece ‘The Achy Waltz’…..it has a lilting, haunting quality…..why is it called “The Achy Waltz”?

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@gi_gi_ haha I know, @Marianne always has next level performances. Haha yes that’s all it takes is having the same instrument, but by that logic if you win Andrew’s uke, will you be able to play like @Andrew?! And also potentially collect his DNA…? 😂😂😂😅😅

Her uke does sound beautiful, as does Andrew’s in the challenge video. ‘twould be very cool to win that! 😊

gi_gi_
    Participant

@The_Bumble_Bard I’m dying laughing 😂🤣😂🤣 Yes, you get it. My thoughts exactly 😂😂😂

Andrew
    Keymaster

@garryrow – Totally fine! TY for the kind words!

@dianna
    – It’s actually “Aching” – not achy. But according to Billy Ray Cyrus, don’t break my heart, my achy breaky heart lol. I venture that’s what it means 🙂

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@gi_gi_ ROFL I’m dying even more now, man. So glad we’re on the same page. 😂😂😂😅😅😂😂😭😅

With the DNA, you could clone him and produce a working faculty of 1/8 – 1/4 size Droompa Loompas (Drewmpa Loompas) who could answer all your questions and serenade you on a whim. I made myself cry laugh. Sorry. 😂😅😂

@Andrew
    , do you like that idea? 😅😂

I’ll go back to trying to behave now…

gi_gi_
    Participant

@The_Bumble_Bard ROFL 😂😂😂 We have hijacked the thread before the month began 😂😂😂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 87 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.