beginner course–slides

Home Page Forums Rock Class 101 Ukulele Lessons beginner course–slides

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ldarrow
    Participant

Hey Andrew,
    I have a question regarding the discussion on vibrato in the slides lesson. I am a violinist just beginning to learn the uke (thank you so much for your lessons). For me the natural way to do a vibrato is a more side to side motion (finger stays stationary on a single pivot point and moves back and forth over the pivot point not moving the string). You have said specifically to NOT do it this way with uke but instead to use an up and down motion (which to me feels more like moving the string up and down as opposed to pivoting on one point). Right now this motion is new and more difficult that what my many years of violin has in my muscle memory. My question is, am I interpreting this correctly? should I be trying to move the string up and down? Also, is there ever a time when the vibrato I am more use to from violin is appropriate?

Andrew
    Keymaster

For that lesson, which is all single notes, you want to use a down and up motion. You can use sideways motion for barred double stops or chords.

Check out this article/lesson on vibrato. It goes way in-depth into both motions (and intensity levels) and has 5 exercises to practice with.

ldarrow
    Participant

thank you will definitely take a look at the suggested lesson.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.