Books on theory | improvisation

Home Page Forums Uke Talk Books on theory | improvisation

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    smokealot
    Participant

Hello forum,

I want to dive into ukulele music theory but am totally overwhelmed. With the little free time I have at the moment I don´t want to spent it researching good resources.
    I had a look at “An Introduction to Music Theory & Jamming” here but still found it to be too much information for my completely music theory free brain (also I would rather be sitting with a book in my hands on the couch).

Can anyone suggest a very very beginner friendly book on that topic?

Thanks 🙂

daveh6700
    Participant
    smokealot
    Participant

Hi again, I didn´t want to start a new thread for the following question so I hope it will be seen 🙂

The live lesson on the circle of fifths was fantastic (as all live lessons I´ve seen so far are – I feel like the topics are representing what is going on in the forum and Matt is just such an excellent teacher).

After reading so much on theory here and there and anywhere this lesson just gave me a kickstart. Thank you! After that I looked into chord inversions and read (again) through the “How to Write a Song on the Ukulele -…” pdf book (and finally felt like I started understanding something).
    Reading that and having just looked at chord inversions I wondered how you can play a chord without using all the notes in it?!

For example “Day Dreaming” bar 12 is a G. For a G one needs a G-B-D. But in that bar you only play G and B. What happened to the D? Does it feel left out because it isn´t played even though the chord of G needs to have a D in it? How can one hear that it is a G chord and not some other chord that has a G and B in it?

What am I missing?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.