C maj Am scale CAGED

Home Page Forums Rock Class 101 Ukulele Lessons C maj Am scale CAGED

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jinajupiter
    Participant

Hello Andrew
    I am reading the course on Music Theory and Jamming Module 3 Unit 1, Soloing in a scale.

I have a question on the diagram included. I do recognise the C A G and F form, but not the D in the last Diagram. I connected the dots or notes in red.

How do I practice these forms? Do I fiddle around in all five forms until I master them and then glue them together?

Is it like that if I mastered all five forms I am able to play major and minor in all 12 keys just shifted to another fret?

I figured that the C string goes one tone higher every position from c until g in the D form.
    Are there two more forms where the first note on the C string are an a and b?

Lots of questions :). No rush to answer,
    I am still waiting for my post order for another Uke so I can play with a low G,
    and practice improvising.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by jinajupiter.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Great questions, Jina! Let’s jump into it.

“I have a question on the diagram included. I do recognise the C A G and F form, but not the D in the last Diagram. I connected the dots or notes in red.”

Those scales follow a 3 note per string pattern. You would need to substitute the C on the 8th fret of string 2 to the C on the 12th fret of string 3. Giving you X 12 12 10. You could apply the same logic to move the G (7 on 3 to 12 on 4) to complete the full shape, although that is not a very comfortable fingering.

How do I practice these forms? Do I fiddle around in all five forms until I master them and then glue them together?

I’d practice one a week. They will help you learn the notes throughout the fretboard and allow you to play out of the scale at any location on the neck. Call out formula (1 2 3 4 5 6 7) and notes (C D E F G A B).

“Is it like that if I mastered all five forms I am able to play major and minor in all 12 keys just shifted to another fret?”

Yes, if you shifted it up a whole step, you’d be playing in D Major. This is not minor, unless you thought of it as the relative minor and/or considered it a mode. But then the “home”, as in the root note, would be different.

“I figured that the C string goes one tone higher every position from c until g in the D form. Are there two more forms where the first note on the C string are an a and b?”

An octave of the root is not required in patterns. The C form would repeat at the 12th fret, no more patterns.

jinajupiter
    Participant

Thanks Andrew,

I will start practicing the first form this week. 🙂
    It’s a whole new exiting world to me.

I like your advice Call out formula (1 2 3 4 5 6 7) and notes (C D E F G A B). So I can memorise their function in the scale, for other keys.

I asked about the amount of forms because how it is now, if you start upward op the c string in the A form starting on a D you get Dorian,
    and same in the G form from E Phrygian etc.
    That’s why I wondered two were missing.

Yes Am natural I meant as parallel.

Yezzzz thanks again for offering this learning platform. I love it!
    I promised myself that if I manage to impro over a simple blues I will treat myself on a Risa el. Uke or something similar this summer. (With a strap 🙂 )
    You’ll be the first to know. 🙂

Cheers

Andrew
    Keymaster

My pleasure!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.