Choking

Home Page Forums Uke Talk Choking

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    charles605

I don’t know if there’s a remedy other than more practice but when I try to record a song that I’m familiar with I can’t even get through the first eight measures. Any suggestions?

surferjay
    Participant

I think this is really common. Things that have helped me.

1. Record your entire practise session, rather than placing emphasis on that one moment where you want to record yourself. Make it part of your routine.

2. Get lost in the music and relax. Don’t rush through each bar as if it’s a checkpoint to be completed.

3. Play songs which you can improvise to build confidence ie. A jazz backing track in A minor. You can’t make a mistake if you’re making it up 🙂

4. If none of this works pour a large glass of whisky 😂

charles605

Thanks @surferjay. All four suggestions sounds like they would help especially number four.

joe150
    Participant

I am not good at computers, I play a fight concert ukulele. The technique is important, rock class 101 have a lot of course on how to hold Uku etc. I would practice technique a lot.

charles605

I agree about sticking to the basics and have made that a priority. I’ve only been playing for six weeks so I can’t complain I’m actually doing well. I wish I had a computer but will make due with lessons on my phone.

smokealot
    Participant

Hi Charles,

have you already noticed the live lessons?
    Probably my favorite one is this one

and my favorite quote from it is: “You should only compare yourself to your own enjoyment”.

There are a bunch of other live lessons on that topic, they sure helped me grow as a ukulele player.

Cheers 🙂

charles605

@smokealot
    Thanks, I passed by this video awhile back and couldn’t find it again. Have been looking for it for days.

charles605

@surferjay tried to give you a shout-out in he show your talent forum. I watched the vides and found them helpful. I think the topic is Second try.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.