Different chucking techniques

Home Page Forums Rock Class 101 Ukulele Lessons Different chucking techniques

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    tastyshrimp
    Participant

I’ve been going through the beginner course and I’ve been finding the slap-pluck chucking technique to be really difficult for me. I think it has to do with my fingers not being in the correct place when I do the slap, which means I’ll end up missing or only brushing strings on the pluck. Looking at some different youtube tutorials, I noticed that some people chuck by down-strumming and immediately muting the strings with their palm or thumb and small rotation of the wrist, and continue on with an up strum. I’ve been able to do this a lot easier than slap-pluck, but I was curious if anyone has any thoughts about when one technique might be better to use than the other.

lisadmh
    Participant

I think it’s different for different songs. I got stuck in the slap pluck and never did the muted strum, which sometimes didn’t sound as good. On the current challenge, eastern uke, I’ve finally figured out the chuck strum and it sounds so much better on this song. Try to learn both? Or do what works for now and gradually build up to both? It’s a process.

nthibode

I agree with Lisa, try to learn both. I had the same struggles as you, @tastyshrimp, with the slap-pluck chucking and finger positioning. The key for me was to start really slowly — get the technique down at a really slow pace, then gradually increase the speed. It takes time, but is worth the effort.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@lisadmh – lisa’s right, I wouldn’t do this technique if you intend to come up with a strum.

That technique is meant to pluck immediately following the chuck. Keep the claw shape intact and come down so that these fingers align to the following strings:

1 ring
    2 middle
    3 index
    4 Thumb

Here’s a short video I shot comparing the above to the way I do chucking with the intention of strumming up after the chuck.

tastyshrimp
    Participant

Thanks everyone! That definitely helps. I’m going to keep practicing.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.