Does anyone does ukulele setups?

Home Page Forums Discuss Your Gear Does anyone does ukulele setups?

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    carmen-s
    Participant

I want to learn to do ukulele setups and I know the basics I have seen a lot of videos so I understand what I need to do and how, I just now need the proper tools to do so and actually start to learn, I was wondering if anyone can tell me what tools do you have to do it, for example what nut files sizes I need? Did you get everything from stewmac?

kanae926
    Participant

Wow, that’s impressive that you’re wanting to learn. I don’t personally know anything about being a luthier or even know a person who is one, but I bet you’d be able to discover a lot from just reading threads on this site: https://www.luthiersforum.com/forum/

You got me curious. Let us know how your endevour goes! Good luck. 🍀👍🏻

carmen-s
    Participant

Thank you I’m going to check it out 😀

recdog
    Participant

Joel, the setup expert at “The Ukulele Site” has a good podcast on doing a “ghetto” ukulele setup. It gave me enough information to do a setup on my intermediate level uke. The key thing is to go slowly, a little bit at a time and stop when you get it to the low range. I use a magnifying glass, 320 grit sand paper folded over as he suggests in this podcast and then very fine sandpaper. Low action makes a big difference on tenors (2.5 – 3.0 mm at the 12th fret / just the tiniest clearance at the first fret when pressing down at the 3rd fret) but might become problematic if the neck has straightness and relief issues.
    Here is the podcast:

carmen-s
    Participant

Thank you I have actually watched that and all of the videos I could find on their page, and I have a clear idea on what to do, I just need some basic tools and to just start, and yes I will definitely do everything super slow

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.