Eureka! Movable chord shapes

Home Page Forums Rock Class 101 Ukulele Lessons Eureka! Movable chord shapes

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    lisadmh
    Participant

This long weekend has been good for my uke skills. I finally dug into the lesson on movable chord shapes today.

I thought I understood them before. Same shapes, different parts of the neck, yeah… But no!

I’m just on the C and D shapes but now I can find two versions of all the chords all the way up the neck. And surprise, they’re not just random spots, random frets, random strings with endless memorizing. There’s a logic to them and they’re all linked! The whole fretboard suddenly seems learnable.

Very cool. Almost mind blowing. If you haven’t really paid attention to the concept yet, check it out.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Awesome, Lisa! It’s a great feeling when we have a breakthrough moment 🙂

Here’s the lesson on it for those who wish to learn this too.

lisadmh
    Participant

Hey Andrew, I trying to figure it out with other chords. Is it supposed to work with everything?

I love the Bdim7 in Etude18 bar 15. 5454. But the internet is telling me that the cord is a Ddim7. But if 1010 is an Edim7, which the internet tells me is so, then moving up, the 5454 should be half way between a Gdim7 and an Adim7. Clearly I’m confuzed. 🙂

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by lisadmh.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Dim chords are symmetrical, as in they are the same notes repeated over and over – just in a diff order as you move it up or down the neck. It could really be called either of those.

lisadmh
    Participant

Hmmm. A little cryptic but lots of interesting keywords for my search. Thanks!!

lisadmh
    Participant

OMG, I’m laying in bed trying to go to sleep and it suddenly occurs to me that the F shape is the same as the G shape if you leave off the G string and strum three down. I run and grab my uke and it works! Same chords, which is cool, not only because it’s cool, but also because moving the F makes for an awkward fingering.

So much for sleep. Back to the uke.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.