Fingering choices

Home Page Forums Rock Class 101 Ukulele Lessons Fingering choices

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    gstriph
    Participant

Matt or Andrew:

In the recent lesson on Sounds of Silence, Matt is teaching a four finger technique. Is there any reason this is better? For example, in measure 2, with several notes on the same string, it would seem like rapid alternation of i and m would be better? From a teaching point of view, is it worth it to sort of force the same pattern throughout the song vs changing from bar to bar as needed. This is sort of like how I learned chords – you frequently see the same fingering but there are clearly times within the same song that an alternative fingering is better.

Andrew
    Keymaster

I would use picado for doubled notes on string 3, 2, 1 and stick to using the thumb for string 4. But that fits my playing style. Which is not what Matt does. So I’d recommend trying both and pick the one that feels best to you.

kayleighb

I’m finding it easier using a 3 finger approach on this one. Tried 4, but keeping tripping up and ending back in 3 anyway 🙂

robinboyd
    Participant

FWIW, my first uke teacher used a 4 finger approach most of the time but switched to picado when playing consecutive notes on the same string. It has mostly stuck with me.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.