flamenco strumming

Home Page Forums Uke Talk flamenco strumming

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    lisamcc
    Participant

Hey uke-buddies!
    I really love flamenco stuff but there is very little for the ukulele that I’ve found (unless anyone has any great links?)
    I’m trying to learn rodrigo y gabriela tamacun

So – I’m working on my triplet strumming techniques – but seem to have hit a dilemma – Jake S suggests down index, up thumb, up index.
    However, all the guitar flamenco tutors suggest down with middle+ring, down thumb and up thumb.

Is there a reason why this is different – I find the guitar version much harder…. but is the uke version less versatile – particularly when you introduce slaps?
    Any ideas?
    Lisa

recdog
    Participant

Hi Lisa,
    Good question. I have some flamenco background prior to the uke being my main focus. You are exactly right in your description of the “modern” flamenco triplet “down with middle+ring (or just middle), down thumb and up thumb”. I tried this on the uke and it worked OK. A couple months ago I started working on Jake’s and Taimane’s method, as you describe “down index, up thumb, up index”. Once I got the muscle memory and practice of Jake’s method down, I found that it works MUCH better. I think it might have to do with the distance across the strings. I also found that I can go in and out of that uke triplet with other strumming patterns.

lisamcc
    Participant

Thanks Recdog – that’s great to know. I’m working on both but have got Jake/Taimane’s method so much faster – I think with the other method it’s harder to get the 3 different sounds, because it’s difficult to get the separation of the down middle then down thumb…. I just didn’t want to inhibit my other strumming patterns. If you are finding it transferable, I think I’m going to just work on that and build in some slaps. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to me. Lisa

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.