Hello from California

Home Page Forums Introduce Yourself Hello from California

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    daveh6700
    Participant

Hello forum, it’s good to be here.

I am a 75 year old retired computer programmer and my journey to the ukulele has been a bit roundabout. I didn’t do anything musical between high school playing the trumpet and retirement. One day I walked by an outdoor cafe and heard someone playing a mandolin. Beautiful, I thought, I want one – so I bought one and spent a couple of years learning the mandolin. Then my wife signed us up for ukulele lessons at the senior center and we learned to strum and sing. Loved the instrument, hated the music.

After a while I discovered the music I liked was Spanish fingerpicking. A friend gave me a high end Spanish guitar. WOW, it was like test driving a two million dollar supercar; great experience but not really my cup of tea. I did manage to stick with it long enough to learn some fingerpicking and struggle through Malagueña.

Then, while surfing YouTube I discovered Rockclass 101 and some sample music by Taimane. Apparently it is possible to play the music I like on the instrument I love. There is hope! All this to say, HERE I AM, restarting my ukulele journey and learning Malagueña. This should be fun!

kanae926
    Participant

Welcome, @daveh6700!

RC101 has a great variety of content that’s bound to appeal to just about everyone of all levels. Malagueña is a great piece! I hope you post your progress or join in on the monthly challenges.

Happy holidays!

-Kanni

Andrew
    Keymaster

Welcome, Dave! Thanks for sharing your story 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.