Hello from Seattle

Home Page Forums Introduce Yourself Hello from Seattle

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    phoenix_uke

Hi There,

I just joined Rock Class 101 last week and am finding it to be really helpful. I’ve been playing ukulele for about a year now and am enjoying adding new plucking and fingerpicking combinations to make songs sound more original or interesting to listen to.

Do I need to buy a completely new string if I want to tune my original ukulele down to a low G? This could be a fun to mess around with more this year.

I think learning finding more fun ways of adding percussion while I play would be another fun goal. It’s fun to see how many different ways there are of modifying the sound on the ukulele.

Are there other resources or places where uke players go for inspiration? When I see an amazing video or find out something new on the ukulele to try that is one of my biggest motivations to keep challenging myself. Also, I find whenever I actually play the music that I’ve learned for a live audience that my motivation to practice goes way up, because I often feel like more connected to whatever happening in other people’s lives.

I’m still pretty new here, so I’m slowly working my way through the list of songs. If there is one you think I should check out and practice let me know.

Thanks!
    Lucas
    Seattle, WA

Andrew
    Keymaster

Welcome, Lucas! For low G, I’d recommend picking up a second uke. It’s always best to have one of each.

Check out this percussion lesson. It’s a cool way to add a drum-like beat to rhythm playing.

Discovering new artists and their music is a great way to find inspiration. Matt did a live lesson recently on 5 uke artists you should know.

For our lessons, the best place to start is here. Learning Paths helps you create a practice plan tailored towards your interests, while also showing you where to start and ideas on what to work on. If you ever need help on the lessons, don’t hesitate to ask 🙂

kanae926
    Participant

Welcome, Lucas!

Yeah, you’re going to need a separate low G string. If you tried to tune down the high G string, it’ll be too slack and floppy because the tension won’t be right. It’s more convenient to have two ukes if you can afford it. That way, one is always strung either high or low G when you need it. Only having one uke and switching strings can be cumbersome.

Have fun exploring the site! Hope to see you join the monthly challenges sometime. They’re a ton of fun. 🙂

-Kanni from SoCal

ukandrea
    Participant

Hi Lucas,
    I have restringed my first “cheap” Ukulele as Low G.
    That was my original order: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B072JT9WLF/
    You can also order it already with Low G: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B083S8GRC9/
    It is solid wood Mahogany and has a very warm sound.
    Now as I have a much more expensive Enya Ukulele (and I REALLY wanted to win the Oct-Dec Challenge Kanilea Hawaii Ukulele) is still love my Aklot Ukulele.

Here is an example of how the Aklot sounds with Low G:

I hope that helps,
    Andrea

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.