Hello from Wisconsin

Home Page Forums Introduce Yourself Hello from Wisconsin

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    reneemur
    Participant

I’m really new at this. I’ve been on this site for almost a year now, and I don’t know how all this works, but I’m enjoying all the songs and the lessons to learn to play them. My problem is: I want to play them all now! I’ve been practicing, but I think I’m going about it wrong. there’s so much to choose from here, that I don’t know what to start with. I’ve played guitar for years, but never the ukulele. It’s different. I’ve learned some songs, but none of them well, because I think I’m practicing too many at once. It’s overwhelming, ha, ha. I can’t wait until I play them all. Thanks for this site and the opportunity to be overwhelmed. I like the way you take your students through the lessons, and I’m trying to slow down a bit when I practice. I want to play it not sing to it.

kanae926
    Participant

Hey, @reneemur! There really is a lot of great content on RC101, so I get what you mean by being overwhelmed. Have you checked out the Learning Paths? It will guide you with where to start and give you direction on where to go depending on your (approximate) level.

What’s really helped me is participating in the monthly challenges – it helps you focus on a song until you’ve learned it. And once you post it in the forum, Andrew provides feedback on what you did well or could improve on. That alone has helped me tremendously in my learning. Also…it’s really fun. This community is super supportive and there’s a lot to take away from watching others participate (and reading the feedback they receive), too.

I hope to see you participate in a challenge soon!

–Kanni

Andrew
    Keymaster

Kanni is spot on! Start w/ Learning Paths. I’d recommend creating a practice schedule that is 3 parts, for example:

1) Technique Building – For example, developing 3 and 4 finger fingerpicking. There are multiple exercises for this in our fingerpicking course.

2) Rhythmic Study – Rhythm is 1/3 of music and is almost always the part that is overlooked. Developing a good sense of rhythm and timing is best accomplished through learning to read music.

3) Songs – Pick 1 or 2 songs at a time to work on. Think of these as the cookies, they are what help to keep you motivated and having fun! Try to pick songs that reinforce the 2 other areas of your practice schedule. A good place to start is with the performance tunes contained in the courses.

reneemur
    Participant

Thanks to you both. I’d like to send a video but our computer is slow, and I don’t think it will work and I wouldn’t know how to do it anyway. I’m going to stick to the courses for now. I used to sing with my guitar, but illness has taken my voice to a new unexpected level.
    I want to be able to play the tunes and just enjoy them. I can almost play Ode to Joy, so maybe I can still learn more. I’m so grateful for this program!

Andrew
    Keymaster

That’s awesome on OTJ. Let us know how it goes 🙂

And sorry to hear about the illness. Hope your voice improves!

reneemur
    Participant

Andrew, I finally got onto You Tube. I put a video there, but how does it get to you? Do I need to do something to get it on here?

Andrew
    Keymaster

@reneemur – Copy the URL and paste it in its own line. For ex:

YouTube Link

reneemur
    Participant

I hope I did this right.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Andrew. Reason: Video Fix
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Thanks so much for the video, Renee! Here are my thoughts 🙂

reneemur
    Participant

Thank you Andrew. I’ll work on that a bit more. I just worry that when I play the F chord, I know I’m putting pressure on the C string, and that sounds awful to me. I appreciate all your help, and I’ll lay off bothering you for a while.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.