Hi from Jersey

Home Page Forums Introduce Yourself Hi from Jersey

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jlbross
    Participant

Hi I am Jennifer from New Jersey. I have some knowledge of guitar. I started lessons in my 40’s for more years then I care to admit. I am mediocre at best. While on a girls weekend a friend mentioned she was going to get a ukulele at a surf shop. We all decide to join her. a year and a half later there are 9 of us all in our 50’s and 60’s. we get together every week and teach ourselves. We have definitely improved. Another friend and I had a head start as we both knew guitar. I feel like i am at a stand still for what i can teach myself. We do have a local Uke Jam that posts songs and tutorials but they still leave a lot of figuring out to yourself. They meet once a month but I am not often able to get there. So hoping that this can get me to another level. Do you have a suggestion on where to start? What lesson to start at? I am excited to see where I can go. Thank you, Jennifer

Andrew
    Keymaster

Welcome Jennifer, glad you found us 🙂 I can definitely help you! I’d like to learn a little bit more about where you are currently at and what you want to get out of your playing.

You mentioned playing in a group. If you’re looking to advance your playing in this type of situation, then you joined Rock Class 101 at the right time. On July 7th, I am releasing our brand new course: An Introduction to Music Theory and Jamming. This course is all about learning how to add to the music. Often times in jam situation, we find ourselves playing the same parts as others. So if you’re looking to break away from just strumming chords and want to learn how to create harmonies and solos, then this course will be perfect for you.

If this is what you want to improve on, take a look at our concept lessons. These lessons would be a great place to start.

Let me know what else you are interested in, and I can help steer you in more directions.

Cheers,

Andrew

jlbross
    Participant

Thanks for your response. I would say I want to play more confidently and learn different techniques beside just strumming. I definitely would like to learn how to create harmonies and solos. Not sure if I am there yet. As far as where I am now…I took on Yankee doodle. Understood how to play it right away. I had learned pull offs and the harmonics when learning guitar. Now two weeks later i can play though from memory. Timing not great. tried to use metronome and then I figured out the chords and strummed it. then played it back and follow along with that which is helping me a lot. I m going to check the concept lessons and find a new song to work on. thanks again. jennifer

Andrew
    Keymaster

My pleasure Jennifer! Check out our course on fingerpicking, it’s a great resource for learning fingerstyle playing. If you ever have any questions or need help on the lessons, don’t hesitate to email me or post on the forum. I’m here to help 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.