How long does it take?

Home Page Forums Uke Talk How long does it take?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    markravi

To all my Beginner-Intermediate players out there, how long does it take for you to learn a song and be able to play it all the way through with minimal mistakes? (ex. House of the Rising Sun)

lisadmh
    Participant

Hey there. I figure I’m intermediate at this point by RC standards. It depends on the song, for sure. If they’re easily within my reach (level 1 or 2), I can get them playable within a week of solid practicing, but I’m highly prone to the occasional error at that point, and don’t have any or many subtleties like dynamics. The harder it is, and the cleaner and fancier I want to play it, the longer it takes.

It used to take me the full month of the challenge to get anything remotely recordable. Now I usually post part way through the month, but it would be better if I would take another week or two to make it cleaner before posting. I get excited about sharing too early. 🙂

TL/DR: It depends, but it gets faster in time.

rickeymike
    Participant

If you work at it for an 1/2 hour per practice session, I would say 10 hours or less.

robinboyd
    Participant

I don’t think you’d classify me as beginner-intermediate anymore, but it can take me a long time to play it up the standard I want. I haven’t counted, but lets say 30 hours or so?

markravi

Thanks all for sharing! I think my practice time is closer to robinboyd; it takes a really long time for me to get a song to a nearly perfect state. Glad to know I’m not the only one that takes so long.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.