Islander Ukulele

Home Page Forums Discuss Your Gear Islander Ukulele

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    kalees
    Participant

Hi All,

I am looking to purchase a new ukulele and have narrowed the search down to 2. Bother Islander solid woods, the MSC-4 and the SAC-4.

My choice has been based mainly on the wider 38mm nut to allow for a little more room between the strings for fingerpicking and the pedigree that the Islanders come from. The one decision that I am struggling to make is whether to go for the Acacia or the Mahogany. I have listened to may sound clips of these, however, as I am not able to go and play these in these challenging times, I would appreciate opinions, especially from players who own one (or both) of these ukuleles also, if you do own one, which strings do you prefer on it?

Regards,

Keith

lisadmh
    Participant

Hey there. I have the MSS4, so the same one except soprano size, in mahogany. It really has a great sound. I have a few other ukes, and i like them, but whenever I come back to my islander I’m struck by how much better it sounds.

I can’t compare with Acacia as I don’t have one, but I’ve been very satisfied with the islander mahogany.

Edit: Strings. I’m still figuring out exactly what I like but flurocarbon for sure. Martins are good. I’ve just tried my first Worth Browns and i like them. Not sure i have a favorite yet though.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by lisadmh.
    kalees
    Participant

Hi Lisa,

Many thanks for the reply, what strings do you use on your mahogany?

lisadmh
    Participant

I edited to add that while you were replying. See above. 🙂

robinboyd
    Participant

I have limited experience with Islander ukes, but I remember liking them when I tried them, and I’ve heard good things.

As for mahogany vs acacia, the mahogany version is likely to have a very mellow, very dark sound with a muted high-end. It can be nice when strumming, and it is forgiving of mistakes (which is why I was drawn to it early on in my playing), but it is not ideally suited to the sort of fingerstyle playing that they mostly teach here. The Acacia is still a hardwood, which means it won’t be anywhere near as bright as a spruce-top uke for instance, but it will be less mellow than mahogany. FWIW, I have 2 acacia ukes, and that’s what I’d get in this instance.

kalees
    Participant

Hi Robin,

Many thanks for your input, it is really appreciated. It is interesting that you mention Spruce Top Ukes. Is this something that you would consider over the acacia or Mahogany, especially for the content of this course. Fingerstyle and soloing is really my goal so any further input that you or anyone else has would be greatly appreciated.

robinboyd
    Participant

Spruce tops have been an acquired taste for me. When I first started playing, I strongly disliked them. I thought they were too brash-sounding. As I developed a bit of finesse in my playing I changed my mind. I still don’t own one, but I do own a softwood-topped ukulele. Anyway, It’s not something I’d stress about too much. I’m sure either the Acacia or the Mahogany would work fine.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.