I’m Yours Clarification

Home Page Forums Rock Class 101 Ukulele Lessons I’m Yours Clarification

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    gstriph
    Participant

Hi Andrew,

I’m a little confused by the start of the I’m Yours lesson.

Measure 1 – is the xxxx really different than a chunk? The difference seems to be using your index finger rather than the palm or the fleshy part of thumb to mute the strings but the effect is the same?

Measure 2 – I guess the same question for the first xxxx but I really don’t know what to do for the single x — an up down chunk? The less one seems to skip right into the next slide and I’m not sure what to do for that.

It seems like the rhythm is Mute (a) down up mute (?) slide – or mute/chunks mostly on Beats 1 and 3.

Help!

Thanks,

Jerry

Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi Jerry, check out this video and let me know if it helps clarify the above.

“is the xxxx really different than a chunk?”

No. But you could do muted strums if easier.

“guess the same question for the first xxxx but I really don’t know what to do for the single x — an up down chunk? The less one seems to skip right into the next slide and I’m not sure what to do for that.”

Chunk on the XXXX and do a muted up strum on the single X. Since I strum up with the nail of my thumb, I tend to only hit the A string, but you can hit all if muted.

Let me know if this makes sense. I can clarify in a video tomorrow for you if needed 🙂

gstriph
    Participant

Great- that was perfect! Thanks!

gstriph
    Participant

Hi Andrew:

I’m just getting back to this and the start of the lesson is still a little fast for me to understand. I think the video above helps – it’s the start of verse, right? But I’m still a little confused…

I’ve played the start slowly trying to show what’s really a chunk followed by a thumb up-brush on the A string. For example, in measure two, there’s a quarter note, then 3 pairs of eighths. Unless I misunderstood, you talked about doing something with the first pair of eigths but the music has the x’s with the 2nd pair. So I’m not really sure about this…

Thanks,
    Jerry

Andrew
    Keymaster

Here’s a slower breakdown.

gstriph
    Participant

Thanks! I’ll work on this over the weekend. This song is a big step up in complexity for me which is why I picked it. I appreciate the extra help. I’ve also been working on a reggae strum and playing this song in a strumming style so eventually, I’d like to combine the two.

Are there any muted strumming lessons on RC101? (Some of the Steve Martin song had muted strumming in melody B). I’ve been working on a barre chord muted chop strum on beats 2 and 4 and a pinky mute as well for the more open chords for this song. The barre chord is ok for a fast DU but I haven’t figured out how to make a pinky mute work quickly (no problem on a down but not too hot on a fast D-U) (Yeah — I know RC101 is more of a chord melody site… 😉 )

Thanks again for the extra lesson and fast response,
    Jerry

Andrew
    Keymaster

(Yeah — I know RC101 is more of a chord melody site… 😉 )

That’s gonna change. Our new course we are working on is rooted in strumming and will incorporate fingerpicking elements. But I’ve also got plans to produce intermediate/advanced strumming lessons that go beyond basic chords and island strum or chucking.

Are there any muted strumming lessons on RC101?

That’s a great lesson idea! Lemme think on it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.