Jenny of Oldstones (Guitalele)

Home Page Forums Showcase Your Playing Jenny of Oldstones (Guitalele)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    robinboyd
    Participant

I was inspired to learn Jenny of Oldstones for the guitalele by @suddardnotstuddard. It was really hard, but here it is. By the way, I broke my own rule and spent hours trying to get a clean recording of this. When I finally got one, I accidentally deleted it when trying to trim it, so I had to start again. Anyway, this recording is better than the first time. Sorry about the poorly synced sound, though. I’m not going to try again tonight.

This arrangement has a tricky switch from 6/8 to 4/4 and back again, which took me about a week of humming it to get my head around. Lucky there is that bar of harmonic notes in there to reset my brain before I go back to playing a similar melody in a different time signature.

Also, I’ve attached a photo of what was making all that noise in the background.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by robinboyd.
    kanae926
    Participant

Wow, Robin. That was fantastic! πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

lyndallk
    Participant

Gorgeous Robin. Did you work it out?

Nothing like a wood stove on a Tasmanian winter night!

robinboyd
    Participant

Thanks guys.

No I didn’t work it out. It’s from the tabs for the arrangement that @suddardnotstuddard linked to in their thread. (here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcHGhK3Rtzk). There is a link to a website where you can sign up for the tabs. Note that it’s in a different key because he plays with a capo on the 4th fret and the guitalele is tuned equivalent to a capo of the 5th fret. I would have detuned the guitalele to match, but I’ve already detuned the low A 2 semitones to match his odd tuning. The tabs say to tune the guitar DADGBE, which works out to GDGCEA on the guitalele. Anyway, because of this, what is now the (very) low G string feels kind of floppy and I didn’t want to detune it any further.

Also, if I had worked this out, I wouldn’t have done the weird thing with the time signatures. I really appreciate its brilliance, but there is no way I would think to do it.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by robinboyd.
    rickeymike
    Participant

Fantastic, Robin. Had you played a 6 string instrument before?

robinboyd
    Participant

Thanks.

I’ve had the guitalele for more than half a year, but I’ve never really been sure what to do with it. I’ve just played around a few times. I had a bit of free time last month, so I worked on this. I’ve never played the guitar.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by robinboyd.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.