Lead Sheets

Home Page Forums Uke Talk Lead Sheets

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    rickeymike
    Participant

There are a few songs that I would like to learn to play. I went to the MusicNotes site and I found many arrangements of particular songs and also a “Lead Sheet”. Is purchasing the Lead Sheet the best option. What does a Lead Sheet do for me instead of purchasing a full arrangement that I may not like?

Andrew
    Keymaster

It simplifies it to just the main melody with chords above it 🙂

rickeymike
    Participant

Andrew, do you recommend lead sheets and embellish (or not) on your own….. Is the purchase of a lead sheet the best investment?

Andrew
    Keymaster

It should be fine. Most arr. on that site are for piano. So LS simplifies it.

lisadmh
    Participant

Are the chords usually the melody that goes with the lead to make easy chord melody, or are they harmony that I can’t do anything with?

Andrew
    Keymaster

hmm that’s kind of a conflicting statement. The melody will not always be diatonic to the chord. In other words, it’s not always a note that is in the chord (harmony) being played at the time.

Lead sheet is good for chord melody writing, but it’s bare bones. You should also consider what other instruments are playing too.

lisadmh
    Participant

Hmm. Over my head then. Lol. I think I need music college. A retirement plan perhaps. Thanks!

rickeymike
    Participant

Lisa, I’m with you…over my head. ha. I’m craving to learn everything there is and I can’t make sense of a lot. Andrew’s quote “Lead sheet is good for chord melody writing”. OH, that’s so encouraging and I’d love to learn how to do it. My objective is to get a lead sheet, learn how to play the melody and then be able to add some chord melody where most appropriate to make it sound fuller. The Reading Course could possibly expand to include this in future.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.