Looking for a new Uke

Home Page Forums Discuss Your Gear Looking for a new Uke

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    shmu88
    Participant

Hello!

I have only one “cheap” (< 100$/Canadian) Soprano ukulélé and i’m looking to buy a new one. I’m looking for a concert size, my budget is around 300$.
    After searching a while in my town the local music stores, I was aiming towards Kala’s (either the Kala SCG Solid Spruce/Mahogany gloss, or the Kala KA-FMCB-C Gloss Flame Maple Cherry Burst). I don’t know a lot about ukulele and I’m would appreciate inputs about kinds of wood/quality/brands and basically I just don’t want to make a “mistake” buying a “bad” uke (even though such thing doesn’t exist 😉 ).

Thanks!

Sam

kanae926
    Participant

Hey, Sam. Brand reputation (along with material quality) make a big difference in the overall playability and sound of the uke, but you also want to make sure you buy from a specialty shop that will setup the uke before shipping it to you. There’s only so much quality control done out of the factory but the finer details are done by the dealer. They’ll check for intonation issues, sharp fret edges, adjust string action, and make sure there aren’t any cosmetic or general defects.

Everything else (like size and tone wood) is preferential. That being said, Kala is generally a good/trusted brand among many while staying in the affordable range. I have two myself (a soprano laminate Mahogony and a concert solid spruce top) that I’m pretty happy with.

shmu88
    Participant

Thanks for the advice Kanae!

surferjay
    Participant

Sooo.. I’ve done quite a lot of research in this price range and the Uke I own is also this price range.

Firstly, I would go and try if you can. That way you get the feel and sound of the Uke.

I own a Cordoba 24t-CE. It’s a Tenor Uke with a solid spruce top and laminated mango sides. It also has a built in pick up.

I personally only play a Tenor and I think most people playing finger style end up with a Tenor as it’s the most practical for the style of playing. If I could sing I may go for a concert but that’s not an option haha

Woods – For me I love Spruce. It’s more of a Guitar like sound (if you like that) and I have a low G on mind now which really gives more volume/bass.

Kala really lead in this price range and their quality control has been decent on the two I own. I love my Cordoba. However, I’ve replaced the tuners as they were awful something I did not have to do on my Kala ukes.

You can’t go wrong with a Kala in my opinion. If I had a $1000 I would buy something else but that does not mean Kalas aren’t decent.

shmu88
    Participant

Thanks surferjay! 🙂
    I’ll go try them tomorrow! I have small fingers and only played Soprano so far so I’m worried about owning a Tenor, that’s why I was aiming toward concert for now. Maybe when/if I get used to it the step to a Tenor will seem easier haha.

drefrank
    Participant

Coincidentally I have essentially the same uke you are considering. Mine is a KA-STG. So it’s a tenor but the same mahogany and spruce construction. I’ve had it for more that two years and have been very happy with it.
    I started with a very inexpensive instrument to be sure I was going to continue playing. Once that was determined I did some research and bought the Kala. I think it plays well, stays in tune, sounds good and has pretty decent intonation. Overall IMHO it is a very good value.
    Happy to answer any questions about it.

sir_anzalot
    Participant

Did you end up getting one yet @shmu88 ? 🙂
    If so, what did you land on?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.