Low G vs. high G

Home Page Forums Discuss Your Gear Low G vs. high G

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    mymgb1
    Participant

I am still confused on restringing the high G string on a tenor or concert to a Low G. Can this be done by Strickly lowering the string or is it necessary to have a separate low G string?

Also is a low G string the same for the concert as well as a tenor low G string?

becky7777
    Participant

You can not just lower the G string on a high g uke.

You need to buy a low G string. Separately or in a set.

Note:
    Low G changes the fingering on pieces of music written for high g uke, (if you want the music to sound the same.) Some music sounds fine playing it from whats written for high g. I have been using my own judgement but trying to learn how to change the fingering to fit. I think the open high g notes are: 3rd fret E string, 7th fret C string, 12th fret? guessing 12 for the octive? (haven’t had to use that one yet and don’t have a uke to make sure.)

Hope that helps

Edited to add: The strings should say what uke to put them on. I’m not sure how to tell other than that personally. I have a tenor so I buy tenor low G sets. I don’t know string tension and length stuff. Someone might though!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by becky7777.
    lisadmh
    Participant

I second Becky. You need a low G string or a set with a low G. In a set, only the g will be different. An octave down is too far down to get right by just winding down the tuner.

See this set? Scroll through the options. You see high G sets and low G sets.

https://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/living-water-ukulele-fluorocarbon-strings

Lots of us have a uke strung to high G and another strung to low G since you can’t just flip flop between the two that easily on one uke.

I think the main difference in sizes is just the length of the strings? Not sure though. Buy for the size of your uke.

There are as many opinions on strings as there are people, but I much, much prefer fluorcarbon, especially for the low G. Some sets have a “wound” low G and that string is really loud and boomy. It sounds and feels different than the rest of the strings. With fluorocarbon, it sounds and feels the same as the other strings, just lower.

mymgb1
    Participant

Thanks to everyone for their contribution to this subject. It certainly clears up that question. I have 2 tenors and one concert, I think I will commit the concert to low G. Thanks again…cheers…

miztaken
    Participant

@mymgb1 if you have two tenors, why not make one of them your low G? If you predominately play the tenors then you do not have to adjust your fingering between instruments (even going between concert to tenor needs adjustments in playing).
    I now find I play 50/50 high G / low G, and life is much easier playing my preferred instrument size (for me it is concert).

mymgb1
    Participant

I am a bit surprised that you play 50% on low G. Good suggestion. I also play a Baritone and love the full sound and lower sounds but of course the fingering is so much different. Coming from guitars, the chords on the Baritone are simple but, I am spending much more time on GCEA.
    Cheers…

robinboyd
    Participant

I agree with @miztaken. If you have two tenors, I would make one of them low G for a bit of variety. I also play about 50/50.

Also, if you have a baritone, I assume it has linear tuning. If that is the case, you could always just play low G tabs on the baritone. Sure they will be in a different key, but that doesn’t usually matter.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by robinboyd.
    miztaken
    Participant

@mymgb1 the 50/50 has come about because my music teacher is a double bassist, and I think she naturally goes for the lower G. And she has me doing some jazz standards in the low G.
    I balance it with the RC101 songs in high G so that I can use my Moon Bird.
    Oh… and definitely go for the flurocarbon low G string, it is wonderfully mellow in sound (my preference is the Living Water strings).

mymgb1
    Participant

Wow, such great support. Thanks again for all your recommendation

Cheers….

mymgb1
    Participant

I just went to Amazon and should all low G strings be a metal wound strings? In addition, are Aquila strings sold as a package of 4 strings of GCEA or are they 4 low G strings?

mfaske
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestion miztaken! I just ordered a set of Flurocarbon Low G Living Water strings from Uke Republic.

miztaken
    Participant

@mymgb1 strings can be sold as sets, or individually.
    A G set will have all four gCEA because it is quite difficult to change just one string when they have been trimmed after being put on.
    If you have to tie and tidy the strings at the bridge (most ukes) then easier to do all four so that the ends are tucked in neatly.
    If you have a uke with strings that have a ball on the end (and “that” kind of bridge) then easy to just change one string.
    Careful on Amazon – “I have heard” that shonky strings are being passed off.
    Buy from an online music store if you have any concerns.

robinboyd
    Participant

Like @miztaken said, beware of Amazon. I have bought all my strings from the following sites.

https://www.stringsbymail.com/ukulele-strings-684/
    https://www.ukerepublic.shop/
    https://www.danielho.com/physical-shop/premium-ukulele-strings

@mymgb1
    – Some low G strings are wound with metal (with a nylon core) and some are not. There are advantages and disadvantages to this. Some require you to buy a full set, and some come as singles. There are advantages and disadvantages to this as well.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.