May 13th, 2019 – Live Lesson Topic: Barre Chords

Home Page Forums Monthly Live Lessons May 13th, 2019 – Live Lesson Topic: Barre Chords

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

May Live Stream: Monday, May 13th at 7:00pm EST (check your local time zone)

Hey guys, we are back with Live Lesson EP006! This month’s topic is: Barre Chords. In this session, you’ll learn how to properly fret full and partial barre chords. We’ll also cover the main reasons why barre chords do not ring clear, AND, how to overcome these obstacles.

This lesson will move beyond ONLY barring with the index finger; as we’ll also be tackling chords that require barring with the middle and ring finger.

This month’s topic should steer up some great questions! So please post all that you have below and I hope you guys join us for the live stream. 🙂

LIVE LESSONS FAQ:

Q: What happens in a live lesson, how long is it, and when does it occur?

A: Live lessons are usually 30-45 minutes in length, but can extend until all questions are answered. The first 20 minutes will comprise of the lesson, while the next 10-25 minutes will be a Q&A session for premium members.

Live lessons take place every second Monday of the month at 7:00pm EST (check your local time zone).

Q: Can I submit questions beforehand?

A: Absolutely! Basic and premium members are welcome to post questions that are related to the topic in THIS thread.

Q: Who can watch the live stream, how do I watch it, and how do I chat with Matt and other members?

A: Premium members will be able to tune in and watch the livestream. Premium members will also be able to chat live with Matt during the broadcast.

To watch the live stream, simply navigate to the Live Lessons Page. You will see a YouTube video embedded on the page (if you don’t see it, double check that you are logged in).

If you do not wish to participate in the live chat, you can stay on the page and watch the embedded video. If you do wish to participate in the live chat, you will need to sign up for a YouTube account (100% FREE).

To participate in the live chat, click on the embedded YouTube video’s title. This will open up a new tab and take you directly to the video on YouTube’s website. The live chat box can be found to the right of the video (on desktop). For mobile and tablet, the live chat is embedded inside the video and can be turned on or off.

For further clarification, here is a video showing how to do the above (for desktop).

Q: I can’t make the broadcast. When will live streams be released publicly?

A: The live lesson will be released for everyone to view on the day following the broadcast (second Tuesday of the month). If you cannot make the broadcast, no worries; you’ll still be able to watch the lesson. Don’t forget that you can submit questions for Matt to answer beforehand (see the above FAQ).

hotmilktea

this is exactly what i am struggling hard! when i play the barre chord, my thumb where touched the neck hurt so much for several weeks…is it beause my other fingers are too weak? but if i continue to practice the barre chord, my thumb is getting worse and can’t afford to play anymore. Is there any suggestions for this? Many thanks!

robinboyd
    Participant

I have a question about partial barres. I’ve always struggled to bend my finger to get the partial barre for the Bb shape. It’s something that I’m able to do a bit better than I used to, but I still struggle, and I find it much easier just to barre all the strings with the index finger (never really had a problem with full barres). Anyway, is this terrible? It’s not something that’s had a huge impact on my playing, so I haven’t let it worry me too much, but should I be more worried about it?

stinyuke

I usually have difficulties, when I do a pull-off to a Barre chord. For e example I have a barre chord on the second fret and do a pull-off on the second string from fret 3 to 2. The string usually sounds like muted. What can I practise to make the sound cleaner?
    Thanks a lot!

becky7777
    Participant

Hotmilktea-

My thumb was killing me last month from the bar chords. I think i’ve either got the beginning of a callus now or I caused some kind of nerve damage where I press on my thumb. I’m leaning towards a callus because of the way it feels now, but I feel for you.

I have kind of hitch hiker thumbs and the end joint bends back some, (actually quite a bit) naturally. I suspect some of my issues came from me pushing back this joint more then it’s used to being pushed.

lisadmh
    Participant

I’ve got a question. I struggle with the partial bar on the Bb out same shape anywhere. My fingers bend all wrong. Any exercises to help the index finger go straight. Here’s a pic of what my fingers do. I miss the 2nd string.

Thanks!

mattukulele
    Participant

These are all fantastic questions that I’ll be sure to cover today. Thanks guys. 🙂

Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi guys! Here is the PDF for tonight. 🙂

Please make sure you are logged in to download it.

lisadmh
    Participant

Can’t wait for tips on 6675. I just tried it and got one string to ring out. Lol.

lisadmh
    Participant

Great lesson Matt, thanks for answering my questions! Advanced Barre chords for sure. This will take some practice.

Lisa, aka Zil

kanae926
    Participant

So many great tips! Thanks for the amazing lesson. I love these live sessions! The ability to interact real time is awesome.

robinboyd
    Participant

I was wondering who Zil was. Hi Lisa!

lisadmh
    Participant

Hi Robin! 🙂

lisamcc
    Participant

Awesome lesson, thanks Matt! Lots of great things to work on. I thought I had barre chords sorted – but no!!!! That’s some fantastically freaky finger gymnastics – I already know various songs that I play where those later barre tricks are going to be really handy. Thank you!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.