“Memory” from Cats

Home Page Forums Showcase Your Playing “Memory” from Cats

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

Heeeellllooo! 😊

Just wanted to share this song that I figured out recently with you, my Rock Class friends. πŸ˜… It’s the song “Memory” from Catz, with a z.

I’m still not super smooth at playing it. I hummed the lower note that was missing on the uke I playing, and yet again did the ol’ uke-switcheroo at the end. πŸ˜…

I tried to get a new recording of it yesterday because this earlier recording had some big hiccups, but the new recording wasn’t much better and I like the feeling, “feline,” of this one more. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜…

Anyway, here ’tis:

Thank you for listening! I also have another song I want to share but too many links might be bad. πŸ˜…

lisadmh
    Participant

Nice! Well done. I can feel the cats. 🐈

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

Hahaha! Well, thank you, @lisadmh! It may not be purrfect, but I’m glad you’re feline (feeling) the cats. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜…πŸ˜Έ

leb397
    Participant

Hi there @TBB, nice playing! you have a real talent. I love CATS with a β€œz”. Saw in on broadway and local.
    I’ve had a busy June and still need to post June entry but wanted to comment on your helpful hints and importance of memorizing song and playing through mistakes etc… All were right on. I’m sure it helped other’s, hearing your path. I think I picked a hard mini Dynamics lesson and not sure why I do that to myself other than it’s the tune that was the most interesting to me. Look forward to your other song πŸ‘πŸ˜

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@leb397, thank you so much for saying so! I’ve said it many times, but your encouragement has meant so much to me. I sadly have not gotten the chance to see Cats live, but I did get to see The Lion King on Broadway once and almost got clocked with an elephant’s tusk as they were walking down the aisles of the audience to get to the stage. πŸ˜…πŸ˜‚πŸ˜…

That’s so kind of you to say, thank you! 😊 I really do hope that sharing my own struggles can be helpful to people. Another thing that can help is finding one person, just one, who you feel comfortable playing in front of. For me that’s been my mom and we’ve bonded over that since I started playing uke. She has the same struggles with performance anxiety so if my hands start shaking or I pause or have other issues, she doesn’t judge me.

Haha that’s so awesome that you’re tackling such a tricky song! I look forward to hearing that. For me the challenge was trying to tackle two minis this month and I half succeeded. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜…

This is the other song. I shared it only on YouTube just to see what happened but I like sharing these here so we can talk about things as we do here and your encouragement has really helped me a lot honestly. Here ’tis, it’s my arrangement of Somewhere Over The Rainbow: https://youtu.be/0Ao1mG8eIo0

Look forward to hearing your entry and thank you again so much, friend! πŸ˜ŠπŸ’•

dianna
    Participant

So Lovely. I listened to both the β€œMemory” and β€œOver the Rainbow”. I’m very impressed that you are creating the arrangements yourself!

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@dianna, thank you so much!! It really means a lot that you say that. 😁😻

I’ve always loved figuring out songs by ear; it’s one of my favorite things to do on instruments. I find it very fun and relaxing. I did that on piano growing up and they were similar to what I’ve done on uke so far, pretty simple, but they usually allow me to express the feeling I want at my current skill level. The Over The Rainbow arrangement is one of the ones I’m most proud of so far. The feel of it was inspired by one of Matt’s arrangements. And I actually got to talk with him about this Memory arrangement in a private lesson last week, which was very fun and helpful.

But learning RC101’s arrangements has helped me improve my own arrangements (and general skills on uke) so much and also finish creating them, and write them down, especially with Matt’s help with that specific thing. πŸ˜…πŸ˜‚πŸ˜…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.