Muting, Backbeat, Chunking

Home Page Forums Rock Class 101 Ukulele Lessons Muting, Backbeat, Chunking

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    charley
    Participant

Hi Andrew,
    I’m confused about the difference between muting, backbeat and chunking. I’ve practiced your backbeat lesson and I believe you mute with a claw position and then pulling up, pluck the chord. With a chunk, it appears one strums the chord and quickly mutes with the palm of your hand so the chord rings before the mute. Have I got that right? I’m working on “I’m Yours” and it looks like you are muting the chord with your index finger on your right hand. I’ve worked through your Beginning and your Fingerpicking courses and both were great. Thanks for your help.
    Lesley

Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi Lesley,

Adding a backbeat and chunking are essentially the same thing. But, it can be executed in different ways. You are correct in describing how I add a backbeat with the claw, as demonstrated here:

Aldrine from UU uses a different approach. He uses the side of his thumb to mute the strings, as demonstrated here:

Muting in general describes lightly touching the strings so that when you pluck or strum, no sound is produced. Hope that helps, let me know if you have any questions. And congrats on completing the courses!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.