My First Uke Fest

Home Page Forums Uke Talk My First Uke Fest

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    lisadmh
    Participant

I just got back from my first uke fest. It was amazing! My entire uke world is here at RC101, and I love it here, but it was amazing to go to live workshops and a concert. So much incredible playing. I have so much to learn, but I felt like I held my own reasonably respectfully. There were a lot of pure strummers there and I had some RC101 tricks up my sleeve. 😀

My biggest single take home learning was to lighten up on the poor little uke and not pick/strum so hard. Andrew has told me that a couple of times but I didn’t really understand. The performers were so soft and gentle on their strings and it was so much nicer. I will work on that.

My only regret is not asking Andrew for some flyers. I think there would have been interest. I could have furtively spread some around.

The concert wowed me. Craig Chee and team performed. Wow, oh wow.

• This topic was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by lisadmh.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Craig and Sarah are awesome! Glad you had fun at the festival, they are a blast to attend!

kanae926
    Participant

So cool, Lisa!

There was a festival in my area on the 22nd, but I couldn’t go. I was super bummed to have missed Taimane, The Ukulele Teacher (John Atkins) and Cynthia Lin. 😭😭😭 I can’t remember, but I think Craig Chee was there, too.

I’m hoping maybe next year! Thanks for posting your videos – looks like a lot of fun. 🙂

lisadmh
    Participant

That sounds like a great festival kanae. This was just a little one and Craig and Sarah were the only headliners. I’m in a big city but this area is just not with the program. I’d love to go to some of the big ones. Some day! In the meantime, this will get me through. I hope you get to go next year!

rickeymike
    Participant

Loved “The Sunny Side of The Street”.
    Where do you find these type of festival schedules? I’m in New Orleans but I don’t read entertainment schedules much (ha, not at all).

kanae926
    Participant

Rickey, here’s a site that has a lot of uke reviews by blogger Barry Maz (goes by Baz) and he has a lot of other info on his Got a Ukuklele page including an updated calendar for uke festivals around the globe.

Global Uke Festival Calendar

I also subscribe to a lot of ukulele newsletters and they usually share upcoming events various brands are sponsoring or artists are appearing. I found out about my local event through Facebook. I like and follow a lot of ukulele brands, artists and ukulele community websites, so it came up as a suggested post.

rickeymike
    Participant

Thanks, Kanae. Just bookmarked that site.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.