Need help reading some music

Home Page Forums Uke Talk Need help reading some music

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    biggoomba
    Participant

I would really like to learn the song City Of New Orleans on the uke and bought some sheet music for it. I am having difficulty translating what I see in the music into something that sounds much like I expect.

I have read countless ‘how to read sheet music’ stuff but knowing what I am looking at still doesn’t translate well into what it should would like. MJor problem being I have no training in music.

I attached the first page of the song.

Some examples of stuff I don’t get is at the very beginning where bars at connecting the top and bottoms of chords. The first 4 D chords for example. There are a bunch of odd marks here and there that I am not familiar with as well.

Don’t suppose someone could talk me through this first page? The song is probably beyond my skill level right now but I want to start working on it so I can practice when I have small bits of time

Andrew
    Keymaster

Well they def notated it in an overly complex way… A D should be shown as such:

null

Your best bet is to follow the rhythm (on the tab) and count out loud as you go, bar by bar. For example:

bar 1: 1 &a 2 &a
    bar 2: 1 & 2 &

I started writing our next course this week, which is on learning to read standard notation, in turn helping you comprehend rhythms and timing. It will help greatly with tackling something like this. In the meantime, check out our rhythmic notation lesson.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.