Never played at a wedding…

Home Page Forums Showcase Your Playing Never played at a wedding…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    zukulele

I have never performed in public before, but friends of mine asked me to play the ukulele at their wedding. They wanted I’m Yours (Jason Mraz) for the bridesmaids, A Thousand Years (Christina Perri) for the bride walking down the aisle, and Lucky (Mraz/Caillat) as the bride and groom left.

The bride picked the versions of the song she wanted… and they were all by Sungha Jung! Panic!

It was easy to find tutorials for I’m Yours and A Thousand Years – they’re right here on RC101. But there were no fingerstyle tutorials for Lucky online. Anywhere. Just strumming.

Andrew suggested that I make my own arrangement. So I took his advice. I spent forever trying to put together a nice version of chord inversions and picking. And then spent weeks watching Sungha’s version in slow motion on YouTube – trying to make parts of mine sound at least a little bit more like his.

Thankfully, despite being really nervous before the wedding, everything went fine! Here’s how it all turned out:
    Lucky –

I’m Yours –

A Thousand Years –

Hope this helps anyone who is challenged to play a song (or 3!) they think is way too hard. Lots of practice = surprising ourselves.

kanae926
    Participant

Awesome, Zukulele! Did you create your own ending (outro) for that? I love your take on it throughout the piece. Great job!

Andrew’s arrangement of Christina Perri’s A Thousand Years was the catalyst in my decision to join the RC101 premium membership. I can play up to the chorus (until the end of the first lesson video). It’s still not very good, but that’s as much as I’ve memorized. It’s not easy, but is such a pretty song.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Zion, so proud of you! Amazing job on the harmony and melody with your arrangement! Bravo! 🙂

zukulele

Thanks Kanae926! Yes, I made my own endings for all the songs. Thank you so much Andrew for your support! It’s very encouraging.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.