New Ukulele

Home Page Forums Discuss Your Gear New Ukulele

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    lhamilton
    Participant

Hi,

My new ukulele arrived a few weeks ago. It’s a carbon fibre tenor ukulele made by Synergy Instruments in a town not to far away from Toronto. It’s got lovely tone and I’m really enjoying playing it.

Linda

• This topic was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by lhamilton.
    lisadmh
    Participant

Pretty! Do we get to hear a clip? Congrats on your new little guy!

lhamilton
    Participant

🙂 — Here’s my June Challenge entry —

robinboyd
    Participant

Hi Linda. Has that uke been set up? Watching you play it makes me think you have a pretty high action.

lhamilton
    Participant

Yes. It has a high action, but I’m getting used to it (I’d had the instrument for only a few days when I recorded). A high action can be good for tone which I like — and I’m not finding it hard to fret in the first fret (I had that problem on a mandolin and had to get the action lowered). I’m finding the tone has a bell-like sound which is especially pleasant for more classical pieces.

Also, because it’s man-made materials, it’s in tune with itself — which I like a lot.

I find it interesting that the uke is much heavier than my other tenor. I would have thought that carbon fibre would be lighter. I like the very smooth rounded neck — my fluke tenor has a bit of a corner on the neck which occasionally irritates my thumb.

I got it with a pickup and am curious to play with it and an amp and effects down the road.

Linda

lhamilton
    Participant

By the way — one of the benefits of carbon fibre instruments is that they are very sturdy and will not readily scratch or crack or be damaged by getting wet. One carbon fibre harpmaker advertised his large celtic harp by tossing it off a balcony into a swimming pool and hitting it with a hammer. They generally require less tuning since they aren’t affected by humidity.

Some studies have found that carbon fibre instruments have different tonal qualities than wooden instruments do, with the sound penetrating more widely through a room.

Linda

Andrew
    Keymaster

A buddy of mine plays a guitar made out of CF. I always thought they were cool and your uke sounds and looks awesome!

lhamilton
    Participant

Thanks, Andrew! I’m relieved it finally arrived — I’ve been waiting since March for it. We’ve had lockdowns that slowed the luthiers.

Linda

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.