Open Strings on Chord Changes

Home Page Forums Uke Talk Open Strings on Chord Changes

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    nsquale21
    Participant

Hi all,

When strumming a pattern, such as DDU UDU, do you release the chord and hit the open strings on the last Up strum while making the chord change? I’ve been seeing conflicting opinions on this with some saying yes and others saying no and that it’s a bad habit unless you’re doing it intentionally for stylistic purposes. I’ve been practicing chord changes with a metronome to try to eliminate the need for it. Just wondering your thoughts on this and/or if you have any additional advice for speeding up chord changes?

Thanks!

surferjay
    Participant

Firstly, I’m definitely no expert so I’ll let someone else tell you the correct thing to do.. But>>

What I’ve learnt works for me… is if it sounds good and feels comfortable play it like that.

Strumming does not have to be robotic… I honestly could not tell you what I’m strumming half the time as I just let my right hand go… when you do this you are muting/playing open strings most of the time to create contrast..

Maybe post a video ??

Andrew
    Keymaster

A lot of people do that when changing chords. But the open strings could clash with the progression depending on the key you’re playing in. In that case, you can do a muted strum in-between chord changes.

nsquale21
    Participant

@surferjay that’s a good point about not being robotic. I think I’ve been falling into the trap of being a little too focused on technique at times instead of letting it flow.

@hardel
    when you say a muted strum do you mean muting with your fretting hand?

Appreciate your help!

Andrew
    Keymaster

Yes 🙂

nsquale21
    Participant

@Andrew gotcha! Are there any lessons or YouTube videos that you would suggest for this technique?

Andrew
    Keymaster

Yep! Matt’s got one on it:

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.